Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Linking YouTube and AdWords accounts

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I work for a digital marketing agency that represents large companies across the globe.

I am new to video adwords, and am trying to understand which metrics exactly are limited (in reporting terms) if you do not link the client's channel account from YouTube with our agency's managed AdWords account (sometimes we do not have the YouTube channel login info for some of our larger/brand clients).

I know I do not have to link the two accounts if our agency doesn't have access to that info, but I am trying to understand what I should be explaining to the client about the differences in metrics if they choose not to give us that info.

Thanks!

Kristin C.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Linking YouTube and AdWords accounts

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni

Hi Kristin,

Welcome to the community.

The main benefits of linking the accounts is that you can see future interaction on your videos/channel that were initiated by an AdWords video ad but there are more advantages.

You can also add call to action overlay's which appear on your video on Youtube and are free clicks. I have run these on a few accounts. If you have a lot of videos on the channel, the call to action overlays are great and a FREE way to direct people to specific pages on your site.

You need to basically pretend to set up video ads for these videos then you can add your call to action overlay ads to each video. Once it's there, pause the ad and your call to action overlay ad still appears on your own videos (No cost). This way if you have a video about a specific product, you can direct people to that page. It's worth setting up if you get a reasonable number of video views.

From the link accounts section in AdWords is shows

Linking a YouTube account to your AdWords account gives you the following advantages:

Engagement 
Get new metrics on how many people engage with your videos and channel after watching your video ads.

Call to action 
Create, edit and view reporting on call-to-action overlay that show within your videos and drive users to your website.

Remarketing 
Create and use remarketing lists from users who watch and engage with your videos and channel.

Let me know if you have any other questions and I'll try and help.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

This was super helpful- thanks for taking the time to explain.  I really appreciate it!

(Response= Evernote-d! Smiley Happy )

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

@chilipepper67;

We hope to see you further with invigorating questions. Smiley Happy

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’