Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Language Targeting

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Dear AdWords Community, 

I am aware that there are already lots of threads around regarding the language targeting settings in adwords, but it is still a bit unclear to me. 

I am currently dealing with the following situation:

We are running a campaign in Great Britain with the language settings set to all languages with english keywords and ads. 
Now we want to target polish speaking people in UK. Therefore we set up a new, different campaign, translated all the ads and keywords and changed the language targeting settings to polish. 

Now what if a customer searches in polish, but has its browser settings set to english? Will the polish ads appear anyway? If not, is it then better to leave to settings set to all languages?

Thank you in advance for your help, 

Best, Gabriel

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Gabriel W
June 2016

Re: Language Targeting

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi Gabriel,

If a customer searches in Polish and has browser settings set to English your Polish ads will not appear since targeting is based on the browser settings. I would recommend targeting your Polish language campaign to all languages so that this situation doesn't happen. Check that you aren't bidding on any of the same keywords in both your English and Polish language campaigns as they will be targeting the same audience.

Hope this helps,
Jim
Jim Vaillancourt, AdWords Rising Star, LinkedIn
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Gabriel W
June 2016

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi Gabriel,

If a customer searches in Polish and has browser settings set to English your Polish ads will not appear since targeting is based on the browser settings. I would recommend targeting your Polish language campaign to all languages so that this situation doesn't happen. Check that you aren't bidding on any of the same keywords in both your English and Polish language campaigns as they will be targeting the same audience.

Hope this helps,
Jim
Jim Vaillancourt, AdWords Rising Star, LinkedIn
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
>>> Now we want to target polish speaking people in UK. <<<

It may seem sufficient for the purposes of this particular campaign to set language targeting to Polish AND English.

>>> .... the same keywords in both your English and Polish language campaigns as they will be targeting the same audience. <<<
The different language settings and the translated keywords might be enough to clearly separate the 2 audiences. I'd leave the international keywords - where the Polish and English variants are the same - in the English campaign.