Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Language Targeting in Search Network

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I have a little less than a year experience with Adwords, so I've helped a friend with an adwords campaign for a new business.

Sorry if my question might seem dumb but here it is: I set as targeted location one particular region (where the business is located and plans to deliver the product - flower arrangements) within the country and as language I set the country's only official language: Romanian; keywords, ad groups, ads are in Romanian too.

My friend receives a call from Google Adwords Support team and the suggestion to also  ad English, German, Hungarian as languages.

Why is that? To me it  makes no sense.

Thanks.

1 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Ramona B
September 2015

Re: Language Targeting in Search Network

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello ;

This is a common practice in countries in which  more than one language is spoken. (Though, could be not official)

Google  determines the user's language, mainly by using the user's browser settings;

So, if you have a user who prefers to use a browser with an English interface, but he/ she  does speak Romanian, you do want to show ads to this user also;

(There are some exceptions- but, this is "the basics of language targeting").

Read more:

AdWords Language Targeting

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi there,

Another application would be used for GDN (display) campaigns: let's say you create some image ads and would like them to appear on popular English or Hungarians sites/blogs which are also frequently visited by Romanian users - in the case of having English and Hungarian language selected, your display ads will also show to Romanian users searching English/Hungarian sites.

HOpe this helps.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello ;

This is a common practice in countries in which  more than one language is spoken. (Though, could be not official)

Google  determines the user's language, mainly by using the user's browser settings;

So, if you have a user who prefers to use a browser with an English interface, but he/ she  does speak Romanian, you do want to show ads to this user also;

(There are some exceptions- but, this is "the basics of language targeting").

Read more:

AdWords Language Targeting

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi there,

Another application would be used for GDN (display) campaigns: let's say you create some image ads and would like them to appear on popular English or Hungarians sites/blogs which are also frequently visited by Romanian users - in the case of having English and Hungarian language selected, your display ads will also show to Romanian users searching English/Hungarian sites.

HOpe this helps.