AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.3K members online now
4.3K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Language Targeting Macedonian not avaliable

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi!

I would like to run a campaign (search network only) which target users by location (Macedonia) and language (Macedonian). 
As I read Google guide, location and language targeting should be set appropriately.
But in real practice, there are obstacle to realize it.
There is no option to select Macedonian language.

Now if I set English or All, my ads will be shown to users that might not understand Macedonian and are not relevant audience.
is there any other option or manner how I could manage this appropriately?
And why these languages are not available since there is google interface google.mk?

Many thanks,

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Marija Hris
April 2016

Re: Language Targeting Macedonian not avaliable

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

@Marija Hris;

The Policy is clear

>>AdWords doesn't support all languages — see a list of supported languages. Please create ads in only those supported languages, and make sure that the landing page of the ad also displays in a supported language.

Ads in an unsupported language will be disapproved;

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Marija,

Approximately 50 languages can be targeted in AdWords currently, though I think that this count will be increasing a bit in the future. Factor also in, that just India alone has probably more than 50 spoken languages and the global total may amount to several hundreds or thousands.

The best you can do is to define keywords and write the ad copies in the particular language you mean to target. Chances are only those will click on your ads who understand that language. The AdWords mechanism is also designed in a way that impressions will - over time and statistically - go to those who are likely to click.

Best,
Lakatos

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hello there;
AdWords ads and landing pages must be in a supported language.
Currently Macedonian is not a supported language, hence you cannot set a campaign in this language;
https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/6088505?hl=en
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

"AdWords ads and landing pages must be in a supported language."
@MosheTLV „I can make ads written in Macedonian language by using Macedonia input language but I cannot target users based on language -their google interface which in my case is Macedonian
Regarding landing page, do I need strictly to use html tag in order to indicate my language - <html lang="mk"> or?

Thanks in advance!

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Marija Hris
April 2016

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

@Marija Hris;

The Policy is clear

>>AdWords doesn't support all languages — see a list of supported languages. Please create ads in only those supported languages, and make sure that the landing page of the ad also displays in a supported language.

Ads in an unsupported language will be disapproved;

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
I need to say thank you to Moshe for his valuable input. What I still have on mind is that the languages spoken in former Yugoslavia may be similar or related to each other to a degree that would allow Marija to create the texts in question in a way that is understandable to both Macedonian speakers and those of one of the supported languages. Croatian, Serbian, and Slovenian are supported by Google.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Interesting approach by @Lakatos to resolve the issue...

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
Moshe, during Marshall Tito's rule I traveled a lot in Yugoslavia. In those years many residents of the country were of the opinion that there were no separate Serbian and Croatian languages. There was they said only one so-called 'Serbian-Croatian' language that had multiple dialects. Later they went to war and got separated fully. I don't know who was or is right, however, Marija may perhaps take an advantage of this.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Totally agree with @Lakatos and many thanks for your collaboration and input Smiley Happy
Languages spoken in former Yugoslavia are similar and related to each other which in turn makes Google to be confused sometimes Smiley Happy. Often, when I search, I see search results or ads written on Serbian or Bulgarian (in most cases).
As advertiser I have made a google search ads using Macedonian input language as well as many other advertisers have done the same.
The problem is, my targeting is not correct if we follow the theory (location and languages should correspond together), but because I don't have any other option, I target "All languages" or only English.

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor
CIA's World Factbook says that the breakdown of languages spoken in Macedonia is as follows:
Macedonian (official) 66.5%, Albanian (official) 25.1%, Turkish 3.5%, Roma 1.9%, Serbian 1.2%, other 1.8% (2002 est.)

Unlike Albanian, Turkish is a supported language hence you may want to exclude it unless you wish to target also that minority.