AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

1.9K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Keywords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

When using phrase match, is there such thing as canabolism between similar keywords?

For example, if I have the keywords "tennis shoes" and "red tennis shoes", if someone searches for red tennis shoes, "tennis shoes" will trigger my ad. What is the point of having both of them in my keywords list? Won't my keyword "tennis shoes" get a better ad rank if it is being used more often? 

Thanks for any insights.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Keywords

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi JaqWhite,

Welcome to the community! Your theory is right.. even I though of same when I started my first campaign with Adwords. 

Actually Ad rank is a combination of QS*Bids and QS is being calculated every time search query runsNow QS plays a role here. To maintain a good QS relevancy should be there. It is highly important to maintain relevancy between the keywords and associated search queries. Search query triggered by the most closely matched keyword. So If someone's search query is Red Tennis Shoes and keyword Red tennis shoes itself trigger, the relevancy will be higher - that means very high CTR - high QS - and ultimately good Ad rank.

To stop conflict and to maintain relevacny we can add negative keyword across adgroups. New adgroup specially for Red Tennis Shoes related keywords and You can add -red as a negative in "Tennis shoes" adgroup. So that the right keywords will be triggered by right search queries. Here is one more advantage you can create adcopy specific to Red Color Tennis Shoes.

Although I am not sure of your advertising goals, so can only give you some general advice.

Hope that makes some sense.

Thanks

Neha

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Re: Keywords

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi JaqWhite

'red tennis shoes' is a more SPECIFIC search term and you may find it won't be as competitive. 

If you sell specific coloured tennis shoes and Keyword Tool advises a strong demand on those specific terms then I would use them.

Having 'red tennis shoes' can attract (in a way) more narrowed down, specific search terms.

'affordable red tennis shoes' could be a potential. 

And 'tennis shoes' won't necessarily ascertain a better ad position as many other variables come into play - competitor bids, ad text relevance, web content relevance and so on. 

I hope this helps.