2.4K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Keywords used on the display network

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

From your experience, are the keywords used for text ads in the display network cheaper than on Google Search?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Keywords used on the display network

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello ,

You cannot compare the two situations. In the GDN you bid on a web page that might contain one or more of the keywords from your Display Ad Group and one of the keywords is designated as the dominant one ( perhaps the most frequent found on page) . Keywords + placement + other filters ( age , sex , topics , interests) designate a "theme" . Clicks in the GDN rarely lead to a direct conversion , even if they seem cheaper they mostly have a role of asisting a buyer in the initial stages of research for what they want to buy. By using the multi-channel funnel in Analytics you can study the conversion path for 2 or more clicks and see that clicks in the GDN are at the begining of the path mostly.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello;

Generally speaking - yes; with some exceptions in leading sites (e.g Gmail )

@ "Adrian ;

>>"  In the GDN you bid on a web page that might contain one or more of the keywords from your Display Ad Group and one of the keywords is designated as the dominant one ( perhaps the most frequent found on page

When using keywords  for contextual targeting  - you bid on a keyword NOT on a page.

This is a misconception that the most frequent keyword on the page is the leading one. "Contextual targeting" is far more complex.

>> "Clicks in the GDN rarely lead to a direct conversion"

I  disagree!.  If targeting is done properly, click on  the display could lead to a nice conversion rate 

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

@MosheTLV 

"When using keywords  for contextual targeting  - you bid on a keyword NOT on a page."

Acording to this document 

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1209882?hl=en

They provide recommendations to set "Bid only" for placements , while the default option for both keyword and placements is "target and bid". This way you effectively bid on the pages of that placement NOT on the keyword.

"If you want to show on sites based on your keywords, but you think that your potential customers visit two specific websites, you could add travel-example.com and luxurytravelexample.com as placements, and select "Bid only." Then, you could set a bid on those placements to increase your chances of showing there when your keywords match those placements."

also in the same page they explain the combination of "Target and bid" and "Bid Only"

Targeting methods Target and bid (default setting) Bid only Where ads appear and what bid is used

Keywords + placementsKeywordsPlacementsTargeting: Keywords
Bid used: Placements

About "This is a misconception that the most frequent keyword on the page is the leading one. " . I wrote "perhaps" this means that I assumed. Your statement is also an assumption, since google does not offer documentation about how context targeting decisions are made. You are just assuming that it is more complex until you can sustain your assumption with an evidence.

About "I  disagree!.  If targeting is done properly, click on  the display could lead to a nice conversion rate "

Let me provide an argument for my statement :

This interactive graphic based on google statistics shows that the Display Network is almost always on the "Assist side" of a purchasing cycle, more on the "awareness" and "consideration" stages :

http://www.google.com/think/tools/customer-journey-to-online-purchase.html

More than this, the first picture, which should be an average for all industries for US ( you can change industry and country in the drop down lists) , shows that a Display Click is on an average 3 steps away from the purchase.

gdn-no-conversions.png

At this point I would love to see your argument for the statement that the GDN produces last-click conversions and ROI . Perhaps I am missinformed.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

@Adrian;

Again; ( saying it this time straight, after number of times "implying about it"):  in your posts / arguments "be precise, focused  and to the point"   Your posts are long and hard to follow;  Don't link too many resources!.. It's better to be short and to the point. 

The OP was  "to the point" and clear: keywords targeting only.  (aka "contextual targeting" ). No further targeting methods. I answered to this.

Additional info might confuse,  rather than help..

As for the 2nd point - I don't see the relevancy . I disagree.! ( How analyzing of a process to a finalize a purchase relevant to analyze of the rate of conversion....

You really don't have to respond to any disagreement . A variety of opinions/ views is welcome...

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

1) About your continuous recommendations, I preferred to open this thread to discuss to avoid high-jacking the topic. I do understand that since you have over 10.000 posts spread through various forums you have a better perspective on how one should write a forum reply .

2) Even if Display keywords is the default choice for a Display Ad group, none of the experienced users of adwords would recommend targeting the whole inventory of 2 billion GDN sites with just some keywords , because nobody has an infinite Daily budget. Since the user asked about conversions, I doubt that you obtain that "nice conversion" rate in a Display campaign just with keyword targeting.

3) Since adwords reports last-click conversions, in a GDN conversion report you will not see many conversions from Display campaigns, this is why the reported conversion rate will be low even if that ad group or campaign has assist clicks for other conversions . This is also why an advertiser should learn to understand the steps to purchase which place a Display Network click early in the multi-channel funnel often as an assist click not as a last-click conversion.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Adrian, you have already hijacked this thread and made it impossible for us to give a clear, helpful answer to Maria.  The question asked was relatively simple and needed only a simple, clear, reply.  The thread is now hopelessly complex, delving into areas that are unnecessary and off-topic.

Your assertion that the GDN does not provide many conversions is also misleading.  The path to purchase diagram shows that that the GDN - for all industries - tends to assist more than be a final conversion, but it is wrong to conclude or suggest that the GDN doesn't provide conversions.  It does, it is just that it takes a role in the earlier part of the conversion process than that the later.  Where the GDN acts as an early assist, if that Ad had not existed it's possible the last click conversion would never have taken place.  A sensible, professional advertiser looks at the entire path, across all channels and does not focus on one particular element.

I will say no more because this thread has already left one AdWords user who was looking for help likely confused and annoyed that their thread has been hijacked.  Maria, I'm sorry.  If you'd care to post again we'll try and give you a simple, straightforward answer.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

This question is like "Here I am offering you a closed treasure box can you evaluate it if it is cheap or expensive to sell to a pawn shop ? " . My answer would be : let's open the box to analyze it's content.

Why are you all fighting for here, the first answer was pretty short and covered 2 aspects that you are basically reiterating that a GDN click is profitable only when you learn to put into equation multi-step conversions and when you use multiple-targeting methods. "Cheap" keyword clicks in GDN doesn't mean more profitable unless you only aim for simple traffic with no other end-value.

I'll try to make some other points here before Maria starts a GDN campaign :

- you cannot obtain in advance an estimated avg. CPC for the display keywords even if you only bid on them and nothing else is in the equation. This was an option in a Search campaign, you could tell if a keyword was cheap or not.

- Google has no "first page bid" prices , no "keyword planner" for the GDN and not even an "ad preview tool" to give you confidence that ads are being displayed on a website of your choice. These were all options also in a Search campaign that helped you evaluate the "cheapness" of a keyword.

- You don't even get to see your QS and that is used in auctions according to google rules. Big minus in evaluating your keyword's performance and "cheapness"

The answer here is to test your keywords in various ad groups because your only measurement of "expensive clicks" is the metric relative CTR. The same keyword can provide a cheap click if their CTR is high meaning that you have good Ads and the same keywords can provide expensive clicks if their CTR is low when you have bad Ads.

Also beware that you cannot use in the GDN all the tools that were available in the search campaign like some of the extensions that increase the CTR and make a click cheaper.

I hope you don't feel the need to also attack my answer, thank you in advance.

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 9
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Maria d ,

From my experience YES the keywords used for text ads in the Display Network are cheaper.

I manage over 50 accounts and in all cases Display Network is much cheaper CPC than Search Network keywords.

Also from my experience always i have less conversions from Display Network.

For my country, Greece and for my 50 accounts i realize that conversions come from Search.

Only in one case where i did re marketing for a camping site with 2000 clicks per day i produced more conversions than  the Search network.

Greece is a low level country when it comes to internet marketing , we are more the Flintstones user types here ! In Italy or Germany there are more internet oriented people that more often convert in a e-shop, fill a form e.t.c. , here we just pick up the phone and look for that big yellow book that makes your fingers black and you turn tha pages for 20 minutes to  only find the theme  Smiley Happy

George Gemenetzis
Don't forget to Star or credit an answer as an AdWords Accepted Solution if it helped you.