AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.7K members online now
3.7K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Keywords per Ad Group Question

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello AdWords Guru's.  I wish to first thank those who read and respond and I will attempt to describe my question/situation as best as I am able.  I also apologize for the length, but I hope I made it easily readable Smiley Happy

I am a piano teacher, with a piano studio.  I advertise in a 13mile radius.  I have 9 Ad Groups.  

My 9 Ad Group Names with subsequent keyword:

Local Piano Lessons----------------> +Piano +Lessons 

Local Piano Teachers ---------------> +Local +Piano +Teachers

Piano Lessons for Kids ------------> +Kids +Piano +Lessons

Piano Lessons for Adults------------> +Piano +Lessons +Adults

Home Piano Lessons ---------------> +Home +Piano +Lessons

Beginner Piano Lessons -----------> +Beginner +Piano +Lessons

Piano Lessons for Kids --------------> +Kids +Piano +Lessons

Piano Teachers Baltimore -----------> +Baltimore +Piano +Teachers

Piano Lessons Baltimore -------------> +Baltimore +Piano +Lessons

I have only ONE or TWO keyword modifier per Ad Group as a +keyword +keyword +keyword modifier, while using appropriate negative keywords to keep search matches balanced between semi-broad and "way too broad"

Let's take "Local Piano Lessons" as an example.

If under "Local Piano Lessons" I include as keywords the following

+Piano +Lessons

Then this would include such hits from searches such as:

Piano Lessons in Chance, Florida

Arbutus, Oregon Piano Lessons

Piano Lessons Near Zip Code 21523

Piano Lessons Rates

As many times, users modify their search with their city location or zip code while searching for local businesses. 

So then if I see a strange Alien phenomenon where Piano Lessons are being correlated with Alien Abductions, then I can simply put "Alien" and "Abductions" in negative keyword list. 

(Is all this pretty accurate so far?)

Then if it is, my question is the following:

Why would I need to include more than one keyword per ad Group if I use +keyword +keyword modifiers to target semi-broad matches while diligently using the negative keyword modifier?  

OR would it be better to still pull in the recommended keyword lists that Adwords provides to increase impressions for keyword/user search matches? 

Let's Say I have

(Ad Group) ---------->Piano Lessons for Kids------------->(Keywords)------------->+Kids +Piano +Lessons

Then should I also use as keywords in my ad Group the Following:

"Piano Lessons for Kids"

"Piano Lessons Kids"

"Kids Piano Lesson"

"Kid Piano Lesson"

"Kids Piano Lessons"

(Ad infinitum)

Or would +Kids +Piano +Lessons already cover all the varieties of spelling/word order?

Any discussion on this issue would be greatly appreciated.  As it seems to me, my strategy of +keyword +keyword +keyword PLUS negative keyword modifiers is perfectly legitimate and can provide a nice balance without spamming all possible keyword varirations under each ad group.

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Dustin S
September 2015

Re: Keywords per Ad Group Question

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hello, Dustin.

1-10 are visible QS's. The system does not use a 1-10 scale and there are certainly different shades of 7 (as you say, 7.1, 7.2, etc.) which are approximated in the interface to a rounded number.

What I mean is the quality score of +piano +lessons only gets updated when the search term is piano lessons. If +piano +lessons has a QS of 7, it will stay there for every search such as something piano lessons.

However, if something such as something piano lessons appears often and you have it as a keyword (in whatever match), its QS will be updated (in either direction) every time the search term appears. That's the reason why it is recommended to have keywords constructed from terms which are often used as opposed to keywords which have high coverage but are seldom appearing as a search term themselves.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello, Dustin.

Before the gurus come by Smiley Happy, what I would like to say, in a nutshell, is this: quality score AND cost per click.

Covering all possible searches is one thing. Paying the least amount possible given a certain keyword, ad and competition is something else.

That is because a keyword's quality score is only updated when the search term is identical to the keyword (minus the modifiers). So if you have +piano +lessons as a keyword its QS will only go up if the search term is exactly piano lessons and your ad text gets a better CTR than your competition. For piano lessons for kids the QS for piano lessons does not get computed, it stays at the previous level.

And the whole point on working on your keywords and ads is to get them as close as possible to the search term. Keywords get a better QS when the search term exactly matches them and parts of the search terms are shown in bold text when they match the ad text and thus get more visibility.

Of course, working with 100 keywords per ad group is not funny at all, so you'll have to find a balance somewhere. I'd say that you should consider creating keywords (and sometimes special ads in their own ad group) for search terms that are above a certain threshold. Where that threshold should be placed is completely up to you. If you don't have much time and useless clicks are not so expensive, use a high threshold. If you have time and clicks are expensive, use a low one.

Hope it helps. Let us know if anything above does not make sense or is not clear enough. 

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi there;

To follow with the great  strategy explained by @AdWiser, what I like to do to achieve that, is to separate ad-groups by match types.(i.e having all exact match keywords in one ad-group, broad match KWs in another, and bid accordingly:  higher on exact match)

This, though, does require tightly themed  ad-copies for the exact match ad-group, and having all exact match KWs as negative KWs in the broad match ad-group. (So, a broad KW would not trigger the ad against a search query, which should be matched to an exact match KW.)

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Quote from AdWiser

"Keywords get a better QS when the search term exactly matches them"

Are you saying that if someone searches for 'piano lessons' , that the following is true?

[Piano Lessons] is a better match overall (QS)

than

+Piano +Lessons (My QS is currently a 7/10)

I also would assume that if QS doesn't move from 7 to 8, then there is not difference. (Meaning, there is no hidden 7.1 or 7.3 or 7.7 scores - Just 7 or 8.)

Would this be accurate?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I understand the concept. I think I can make use of it for all the local searches where a searcher uses piano lessons *insert their local city here* instead of just typing in 'piano lessons'

So I could do

[Piano Lessons] --------- EXACT match for one ad group

then

+Piano +Lessons ------------ For all varieties like 'Piano Lessons *zip code*' OR 'Piano Lessons *city*' OR 'Piano Lessons in *city/zipcode*

Then I would include [piano lessons] as a negative keyword in +Piano +Lessons add group, yes?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

This entire thing is very confusing and I wonder how much overthinking I'm gonna do relative to the benefits. 

I kind of want my ads in 1st position, with call and sitelink and location extensions. 

My competition is really bleak to begin with and don't even use good ads or any extensions, really.  Plus my landing page is always an eye grabber. 

http://prodigypianostudios.com/

Especially after I finish it up.  

Oh well, I guess if you want to be the best, you gotta do lots of technical research Robot Mad

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Dustin S
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hello, Dustin.

1-10 are visible QS's. The system does not use a 1-10 scale and there are certainly different shades of 7 (as you say, 7.1, 7.2, etc.) which are approximated in the interface to a rounded number.

What I mean is the quality score of +piano +lessons only gets updated when the search term is piano lessons. If +piano +lessons has a QS of 7, it will stay there for every search such as something piano lessons.

However, if something such as something piano lessons appears often and you have it as a keyword (in whatever match), its QS will be updated (in either direction) every time the search term appears. That's the reason why it is recommended to have keywords constructed from terms which are often used as opposed to keywords which have high coverage but are seldom appearing as a search term themselves.

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Here is a good article by Google on CTR calculations;

Ingredients of the Quality Score sauce

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks your reply was to the point. I need to target my keywords to better match searched terms in a more specific manner than a broad manner.

That I can definitely do. Then I can set up a few broad matches to catch all those little variations people sometimes use.