Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Keywords overlap - How to deal with it?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi guys,

I would like to get your opinion about account structure because i heard many ideas without getting a final conclusion..

How do you deal with cross-group keywords/overlap?

I mean, in order to segment the account properly (and increasing CTR by targeted ads as well as improving QS) may happen there are queries related to more than one group.

For instance, selling ladders, there might be a group

circular ladder,

spyral ladder...

And low-cost ladder...

If i put negatives in the other groups (- spyral, - low-cost) it wouldn't solve my problem for queries as "low-cost circular ladder".

So how do you do? What would you suggest?

Many Thanks

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Gabriele G
October 2015

Re: Keywords overlap - How to deal with it?

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi @Gabriele G

How about adding no negatives like circular or spiral in the third adgroup and using Modified Broad Match instead?

+lowcost +ladders

+low-cost +ladders

+low +cost +ladders

You can also use Modified Broad Match in other adgroups but with embeded negatives in place.

Does it help?

Thanks
Ratan Jha

About Me: Community Profile | Ratan Jha INC. | Splashsys Webtech
If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.

View solution in original post

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi Gabriele,

Yes if you use these negatives at adgroup level then it will limit your ads triggering on the queries including these negative keywords to that particular adgroup. But ads will trigger with other adgroup.
And if you want to limit the impression from all the adgroups, you have to add these negatives at the campaign level.

Regards
Archit, AdWords Rising Star, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Archit, thanks for your reply.

Yes, I got it. But my question was a little bit deeper.
What do u mean for "But ads will trigger with other adgroup." ?

When there are no related words there is no problem by putting other group negative keywords. In the example case:

circular ladder (- spiral, -low-cost)
spiral ladder (-circular, -low-cost)
low-cost ladder (-circular, -spiral).

So whenever someone is looking for wooden spiral ladder, of course only the 2nd ad group will trigger my ads.

But what happens when there are queries such as circular low-cost ladder? as far as i know, any of these groups would be activated, representing for me a missed opportunity.

So how could i deal with that?

I hope I have been clearer or in case I haven't understood properly, please try to help me Smiley Happy

Thanks

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
Hi,

yes now you got it. As per your example your 2nd adgroup will trigger your ad for wooden spiral ladder but your keyword spiral ladder must not be in exact match type.
In case if the query is circular low cost ladder, none of your keyword from any adgroup will be eligible to trigger your ads.
so choose appropriate negatives otherwise these may limit your impressions to your relevant customers also.

Regards
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks.

And in case i would like to appear for the queries
"Circular low-cost ladder"

How could i do so? Should i change everything?

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star

For this either you create a separate adgroup containing keyword "Circular low-cost ladder" or other thing you can do is use negatives in exact match for other adgroups like
for adgroup having keyword circular ladder, use negatives as [-spiral ladder], [-low cost ladder], [-spiral low cost ladder] [-buy spiral ladder] or any other combination.
But this method will be difficult to manage if you have a large set of keywords.

Regards
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Gabriele G
October 2015

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi @Gabriele G

How about adding no negatives like circular or spiral in the third adgroup and using Modified Broad Match instead?

+lowcost +ladders

+low-cost +ladders

+low +cost +ladders

You can also use Modified Broad Match in other adgroups but with embeded negatives in place.

Does it help?

Thanks
Ratan Jha

If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.

Rising Star
# 8
Rising Star
Hi Ratan,

for the keyword "circular ladder" if used with modifier as +circular +ladder but user searches for "low cost circular ladder" then ofcourse ad will trigger but Gabriele don't want to show ad on this query from that adgroup then again he need to use low cost in negative in that adgroup.
So it can be done only if he regroup the keywords with a bit loose theme.
but for these very tightly themed adgroups, he must need the use of negatives.

Regards

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

@Archit,

For the keyword low cost circular ladder, ads would trigger from the third adgroup that is specifically created for search terms with low cost in them, not from the first adgroup as low cost is as negative there. 

What @Gabriele G aims to achieve is to have a structure that does not miss on the potential search terms and still adgroups are themed properly to have better relevancy. He uses negatives to make sure adgroups do not overlap. T

To achieve this efficiently, even the current structure is fine. He only needs to remove those two negatives which he indicated from the third ad group and modify low cost and ladders. Why? Because doing so will make sure he does not miss potential keywords like low cost circular ladders, low cost spyral ladders. 

A few other suggestions would be - write ad copies of the third ad group to include both circular and spyral terms in them, with lowcost as the highlight. Take keywords from the first two ad groups and add them as exact match negatives in the third ad group. It will avoid conflicts, yet would tap a wider range of potential search terms. 

Now talking from users' intent perspective, if somebody is searching for lowcost circular ladder, the term low cost clearly indicates users' inclination towards cost effectiveness of the product. Hence, ads from third ad group would have better CTR than the first adgroup in this scenario (assuming everything else remains constant). 

Thanks
Ratan Jha

Rising Star
# 10
Rising Star

Definitely I explained every thing on the basis of scenario proposed byGabliele.
And also suggested if adgroups are rearranged then there is no issue as Google itself will trigger the most relevant ads. It is always suggested to use keyword in the ads to make more relevant.

Overlapping only occur if same keywords are used(with close variants and match types).

so no matter which adgroup is triggering the ads, the thing matter is that traffic must not be irrelevant.

"For the keyword low cost circular ladder, ads would trigger from the third adgroup that is specifically created for search terms with low cost in them, not from the first adgroup as low cost is as negative there."

I don't think that it will be triggered by 3rd adgroup as circular is used as negative in the 3rd adgroup.

Regards