AdWords
2.7K members online now
2.7K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Keywords not triggering ad. Is my bid too low?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am completely new to this and have no clue what I'm doing. I started running an ad for my Wilmington, Delaware dog training and dog walking business. I went through all the keywords and almost none of them are enabled due to "poor quality or low bid." I guess that explains why I couldn't trigger my ad to appear when using my keywords.

I have paused most of my keywords, but there are still a few that I need that just aren;t being triggered. My budget is $10 a day. Is that way too low? I want my ad to be triggered if someone searches for "Delaware dog trainer" or "Delaware dog walker," . The quality of those keywords is 6/10 ... so is it my low bid that keeps the ad from being triggered? Should I just put everything on hold until I have more $$$ to spend.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Keywords not triggering ad. Is my bid too low?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
What are you bidding?

Re: Better to have more or less keywords?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Heather,

I have a few things for you that I hope you find useful.

1. Location Targeting. You can decide how far around your business that you want to advertise to. For example, do you want people from the entire state of Delaware or just Wilmington to see your ads? To make this decision, in AdWords go to the Settings Tab > Locations > + Locations button > Select the Campaign > Advanced Search > Search for (ex.) Wilmington, Delaware > Add.

Pictured Below:

123.png

4.png

5.png

This way, if a person living in Wilmington were to search 'Dog Trainer', your ad could show if you are using that keyword. 

I would recommend using the more simple keywords like 'Dog Walker' and 'Dog Trainer' only if you are targeting just Wilmington or a smaller area around your business (for location targeting you do not have to type in a specific city or town, you could even search by zip code or radius targeting).

If you used the simple keywords while showing ads to the entire state or country, you will get people clicking on your ad that live too far away from your location and this will cost you a lot of money for clicks from people who are looking for something more local. 

You can also create different campaigns to target different locations.

For ads - it can be very useful to have the keyword in the ad. For Example -  the keyword is 'dog trainer Wilmington, Delaware' the ad could say, "Local Dog Trainer in Wilmington, Delaware"

To see your ads, go to the keywords tab and under the status column, there will be what looks like a speech bubble. Hover over that and select "Ad Preview and Diagnosis" This will take you to a new tab - Press search and it will show where your ad is currently showing. 

I hope this helps!

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Sorry I did not see that the forum had been edited before I posted below!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
My bid is $10 a day. I have the right geographic area picked now. But I keep getting a message or my keywords that they aren't triggering anything due to low ad rank. Is that affected by bid?

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

@Heather S

$10/day is your budget.  He was asking what you are bidding on per click for your keywords.

6/10 is not a bad QS, so it sounds like you need to raise your cost per click.   I've worked in this industry, and it's quite competitive.  Here is a concept to understand.  At $10/day, it sounds like you are comfortable spending $300/month.   If there is $1200 worth of traffic available a month, you are better off spending that $300 in a week instead of trying to stretch it out over the course of the month.   It's perfectly okay to advertise strong for 1 week, and then pause it until you can afford to spend $300 again. I think you'll find better results this way.

The keyword and targeting advice given by Jillian is good.  I wanted to add one thing. Make sure you are using phrase match, exact match, and maybe broad match modifier.  Broad match on a limited budget is not a good idea.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks so much for all of this!! I just got the geographic part correct and chose some better keywords. Some say they still aren't triggering the ad because of low ad rank. I guess that's because I chose a budget of $10 a day. I really don't know what to bid, so I started as low as possible.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I don't know what my bid per click is. I don't remember being asked for that.

Thanks for the advice about budget. I'll work on that. I've just started out so I was going to see how $10 a day was working for a few days, then go from there.

And I'll work on the keyword modifiers. Thanks so much!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
The bidding per click is auto-set at $1.62 per click. Is that good or not?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
So when I check the ad preview and diagnosis, I get the message "One of your other ads is already showing for this keyword." I don't have another ad!!! I went through each keyword that said the ad was showing and got this same message. What's up with that?