Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Keywords for Display Network Campaign

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I have set up a Display Campaign based only on keywords targeting. The location and the language are set only for Romania. I have chosen the keywords to be taken as expressions (in quotes).

The problem is that the number of views of the Ad for a particular keyword is far much higher than the normal search traffic in these conditions.

The particular keyword is "service auto" which is spelled the same both in English and in Romanian language.

The CTA is an awful 0,40%, yet the number of clicks is in the normal traffic range (which led me to think the error must come from the number of views).

Now my questions:

1. Do you think that even though I have targeted the language only as Romanian, the Ad could be seen by foreign people looking in English for the same keyword (which has the same meaning and has the same spelling)?

2. Could the expression quotes ("...") be ignored in the Display campaigns ?

Thank you.

3 Expert replyverified_user

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @alex s,

1. Yes, this can happen. You can use location targeting and location exclusions to help with this. 

2. Using a keyword with " " means it is a phrase match. With phrase match, your ad can appear when people search for your exact phrase, even if they include one or more words before or after it. We'll also show your ad when someone searches for a close variant of your phrase match keyword. Close variants include misspellings, singular and plural forms, acronyms, stemmings (such as floor and flooring), abbreviations, and accents. Word order is important with phrase match, meaning that your ad won’t appear if someone enters an additional word in the middle of your keyword.

Phrase match is more flexible than exact match, but is more targeted than the default broad match option. With phrase match, you can reach more customers, while still showing your ads to customers who are most likely searching for your product or service.

You can learn more about keyword matching options here

Kind Regards,

James

Re: Keywords for Display Network Campaign

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

I  think there is a confusion here;

On the display network all keywords behave as broad match. I wrote an article about the topic (published on the Community article section)

Display Network - How many Targeting Methods to choose?

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’
Highlighted
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Alex S
September 2016

Re: Keywords for Display Network Campaign

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @Alex S

As @MosheTLV already said above keywords match types do not work on Display Network campaigns. They are treated as broad. 

Further, if you meant CTR when you said CTA, 0.40% is not that bad. It's almost above average for Display Network campaigns. But I would advise you to spend some time analysing your placement report. Check to see as to where your ads are actually appearing... Make sure to check bounce rate as well. It might be possible that your CTR is much below average on the highly relevant sites but above average on no-so-relevant/irrelevant sites. If so, it may make the average CTR look good even when the real story is not much impressive. 

And yes, do read the article Moshe referred. Smiley Happy

Thanks
Ratan Jha
Join me on Google+   |   Twitter

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Alexa S,

Display campaign use broad match by default according of previous expert mentioned on their reply. 

Language targeting allows to choose the language of your site or what language is of your targeting audience.  Google always considers what your targeting is. In Google Display Network, Adwords system only choose those website for placements (If you have not choose manual placements) which matches to your targeted language accordingly. So don't bother about it. You have to need consistent monitor you performance. Google decides language preference according to Google interface language settings. But somewhat, display ad is working on the basis of browsing history of user if users are bilingual. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you all !

I've got it now.

Experts in the Topic
Ratan-Jha
James_Clemens
MosheTLV