2.2K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Keywords and location

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, and sorry if this is a silly question, but I am new to Adwords and I don't yet fully understand how things work.

I run a kennels business and want my advert to be shown to people who search for kennels in/near to nearby towns. My question is, is it sufficient just to set the geographic area for my campaign or do I need to have keywords that include the names of the towns.

If someone searches for "Boarding kennels near Durham" should I have a keyword that includes the name "Durham" or is it sufficient just to have the target location for the campaign set to cover the whole of the county.

I am not clear how the campaign's overall target location interacts with specific locations in keywords and given in searches.

Thanks,

Steve

2 Expert replyverified_user
3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Steve J
September 2015

Re: Keywords and location

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Steve,

Let me tell you that this isn't a silly but rather an important question when we talk about the local targeting.

There are couple of things I could think of:-

1. One is to create one campaign and add the generic product/service related keywords and target them in your area and choose the default advanced location options i.e. People in, searching for, or viewing pages about my targeted location (recommended). Doing this will help trigger your ad when someone in that location is looking for your service or if someone is outside that location but trying to search for your targeted location.

2. Secondly create another campaign and add the location based keywords and target them outside your area where you might feel that users are available and they might reach you. This could be your neighboring counties. In this case, you will have add the Location based advanced option and choose this option:  People searching for or viewing pages about my targeted location.

Of course this depends upon whether it is feasible for you to provide your product /service to those people. If it is not, then you shouldn't be doing that as per my understanding.

Find more details about Advanced Location options here: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1722038?hl=en

Let us know if that helps!

Pankaj

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

To be honest, if it were me? I'd probably include keywords both with and without the geo-names, at least at first.  

People search differently in different areas and for different services. I'd want to test both kinds of searches to see which one produced the best type of results.

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Steve,

There are already great answers provided by the TC's.

But I'd like to put my two cents!

I've been handling local accounts for almost 3 years and what i have learned is the following.
In order to better understand your audience put yourself in their place and you’ll get your answer whether people will come looking for your services or not. Moving towards a little technical part, If your set of services is only provided in certain miles as your mentioned then you should go with setting People in my targeted location initially. As soon as the campaign are well optimized in terms of conversions then you can go try another setting People in, searching for, or viewing pages about my targeted location (recommended). Try this setting for 1 – 2 weeks and see if there is any good impact on conversions, CTR, Impressions, etc. Compare your new data with your old one and you’ll have your final answer which setting works for your business.

NOTE (Personal Experience): Applying this setting may increase your CPA which is a very important factor when it comes to calculating the ROI. So, make sure you don’t end up in increased CPA.

OK, now when it comes to adding keywords always use Keyword variations like what Theresa suggested. I completely agree with her. This is what I do for all my local accounts.

You can also try Re-marketing with different offers if you have Advertising budget left over. This can also get you some good conversions.

Hope this helps you somewhere!

Thanks,
Azeem Shaikh

Azeem Shaikh
SEM Freelancer & Consultant.
Adwords & Bing Ads Certified Individual.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Steve,

Let me tell you that this isn't a silly but rather an important question when we talk about the local targeting.

There are couple of things I could think of:-

1. One is to create one campaign and add the generic product/service related keywords and target them in your area and choose the default advanced location options i.e. People in, searching for, or viewing pages about my targeted location (recommended). Doing this will help trigger your ad when someone in that location is looking for your service or if someone is outside that location but trying to search for your targeted location.

2. Secondly create another campaign and add the location based keywords and target them outside your area where you might feel that users are available and they might reach you. This could be your neighboring counties. In this case, you will have add the Location based advanced option and choose this option:  People searching for or viewing pages about my targeted location.

Of course this depends upon whether it is feasible for you to provide your product /service to those people. If it is not, then you shouldn't be doing that as per my understanding.

Find more details about Advanced Location options here: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1722038?hl=en

Let us know if that helps!

Pankaj

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Pankaj,

Thank you for your reply.

Of your two scenarios, only the first is really relevant - over 99% of our customers come from nearby - people rarely take their pets to a kennels very far from their local area.

So, can I clarify things. If my business is in Durham and I set the location for the campaign to be, say, 20 miles radius around Durham, then I would not need to include keywords such as "boarding kennels near durham" because anyone identified by Google as being within that area (by IP address for example) could just search for "boarding kennels" and because the default settings are as you say, Google would assume they are looking for a kennels in or near Durham.

Thanks,

Steve

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

To be honest, if it were me? I'd probably include keywords both with and without the geo-names, at least at first.  

People search differently in different areas and for different services. I'd want to test both kinds of searches to see which one produced the best type of results.

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Steve,

There are already great answers provided by the TC's.

But I'd like to put my two cents!

I've been handling local accounts for almost 3 years and what i have learned is the following.
In order to better understand your audience put yourself in their place and you’ll get your answer whether people will come looking for your services or not. Moving towards a little technical part, If your set of services is only provided in certain miles as your mentioned then you should go with setting People in my targeted location initially. As soon as the campaign are well optimized in terms of conversions then you can go try another setting People in, searching for, or viewing pages about my targeted location (recommended). Try this setting for 1 – 2 weeks and see if there is any good impact on conversions, CTR, Impressions, etc. Compare your new data with your old one and you’ll have your final answer which setting works for your business.

NOTE (Personal Experience): Applying this setting may increase your CPA which is a very important factor when it comes to calculating the ROI. So, make sure you don’t end up in increased CPA.

OK, now when it comes to adding keywords always use Keyword variations like what Theresa suggested. I completely agree with her. This is what I do for all my local accounts.

You can also try Re-marketing with different offers if you have Advertising budget left over. This can also get you some good conversions.

Hope this helps you somewhere!

Thanks,
Azeem Shaikh

Azeem Shaikh
SEM Freelancer & Consultant.
Adwords & Bing Ads Certified Individual.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Theresa and Azeem,

Thank you to you both for your replies - they all help with my understanding of how things work.

Cheers,

Steve