AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Keywords Hierarchy

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi to all. I'm in the business of selling large format and specialized printers.. I've had some success with an adwords campaign that I created in 2011 and now I feel it's time for taking a deep look at it and make some changes.

Lot's of searches/clicks during the previews months/years have been of printers that I don't sell and this is what I want to change.

For example I DO NOT want my ad shown for this keywords:

Printers

Laser printers

Ticket printers

Sticker printer

Small printer

etc.

But I DO want it to show for the following keywords:

Large format printer

photo printer

canvas printer

banner printer

eco-solvent printer

How can I do this?

If I have printer (broad) as a negative keyword and "photo printer" (phrase) as a positive will my ad be shown for a "photo printer" search or will the negative keyword take precedence?

Thanks in advance for your help

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Keywords Hierarchy

Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner
Hello Mawa G,

It depends whether your keywords are specific enough or whether they can cover with printers you mentioned you don!t want to show ads for them.

I would go for each type of printer - new ad group - appropriate keywords for these ad groups and then if you feel like some keywords might combine like small "eco-solvent printer" and this would be something you're not looking for, then I would just take all the keywords: laser, ticket, stickker, small and put them as negative keywords in those ad groups. Use either negative broad match or negative phrase match because it does exactly the same thing for negative keywords with exactly 1 word.

Alex

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

You can add all the keywords you don't want to appear for as phrase match negative keywords and since the two words would have to appear in the same order within any search term, it would effectively prevent impressions fro anyone looking for these specific printer types.

However, if you add "printer" as a negative keyword (broad negs are treated as phrase) the you will block search terms that include the word printer - so all of your wanted keywords will be blocked. We often see campaigns with many keywords blocked by poorly selected negatives.

In addition to the phrases above, I would also look at negative keywords to cover such things as desktop, home, personal - and any and all brands that do not make large format printers. I don't know your business very well but, for example, if Samsung don't make a large format printer I'd add that....

Also, go through your search term report to see what searches are triggering your ads - you'll find a bunch more in there.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Steve, your answer clarifies a lot, i will try adding the negative phrase keywords and go from there.

One last question, adding printer as an negative exact match would be a good idea right? Beacuse I'm not interested in searches only searching for printers

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Adding printer as a neg exact would only eliminate those people who search for that single word... can't help to exclude, but I wouldn't imagine too many people would search for just that. On the other hand if you are using two or three word BMM or phrase match keywords, then someone searching for just printer wouldn't trigger your ads anyway.

[ Edited ]
Badged Google Partner
# 6
Badged Google Partner

Mawa G,

Adding on the great advice you already received from Steve @stickleback

In your original example
Printers
Laser printers
Ticket printers
Sticker printer
Small printer

You can add the broad match terms for:
Laser
Ticket
Sticker
Small

To block any keyword terms that use those descriptions in there keyword query.

It is wise to look at both your adwords search query report as well as your Analytics search query reports to block out terms that are irrelevant. Adwords will show terms that got impressions you may want to stop to help with your QS. Analytics will report search queries faster without the 2-3 day delay.

Like Steve mentioned, it would be advisable to brainstorm and think of potential other related terms that could possibly hit your account. For example purposes and not knowing what you sell besides just printers.

Ie: As Broad Match Negatives
Ink
Ink jet
Inkjet
inkjets
cartridge
cartridges
Paper
Poster
Photo
( common terms with printer may be newspaper, publisher, writer, author etc)

Also like Steve mentioned, add a ton of manufactures that you don't sell and even common stores or companies that you may not want to compete with or the User is pretty much determined to Buy from XZY store ( amazon)

ie:
Best Buy
Amazon
Cannon
Microsoft
IBM
Oracle
etc

You may even extend your brainstorm into First name. I have seen some weird impressions as search terms like "Michael Jordan Printer Poster".

The idea with Negative keywords is to not only remove irrelevant clicks ( cost) but to keep control over unwanted impressions that negatively effect your CTR and ultimately your QS

Good LUCK