Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Keywords Compete?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello adwords experts,

I am facing one issue regarding keyword competing concept.
e.g.
Campaign - "Flower"
Adgroup - "Rose" - destination url - xyz.com/rose
Adgroup - "Lotus" - destination url - xyz.com/lotus
Keyword - +buy +flower

If I put broad match type keyword (+buy +flower) in "Rose" and "Lotus" adgroup in "Flower"
Camapaign with same ads and different destination url then (+buy +flower) keyword will
compete with each other or not?

Please trubleshoot this problem and reply.

Thanks in advance!
Tushar Rajput

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Shanea K (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: Keywords Compete?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Tushar,

I am suggesting what I would do in this situation,

Yes, keywords will compete with each other in the situation you described, duplicacy of keywords are not advisable . I would create three adgroups in the above scenario:

1. Lotus : With Lotus related keywords only such as buy lotus flower, lotus flower only etc.
2. Rose: With Rose related keywords only such as buy rose flower, rose flower only etc.
3. Flower: General keywords such as buy flowers, buy flowers online etc.

I think this way you can target user who are specifically looking for lotus flowers and typing in google keywords which has term lotus and similarly for rose and other types for flowers.

With the help of "Flower" adgroup you can target who are looking for flowers but not sure which flower they want. You can redirect users to the page where various flower types are available. You can also negative in this adgroup lotus and rose to avoid competition within campaign.

You can wait and see what others suggest!

Thanks
Neha
Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Shanea K (Google Employee)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Tushar,

I am suggesting what I would do in this situation,

Yes, keywords will compete with each other in the situation you described, duplicacy of keywords are not advisable . I would create three adgroups in the above scenario:

1. Lotus : With Lotus related keywords only such as buy lotus flower, lotus flower only etc.
2. Rose: With Rose related keywords only such as buy rose flower, rose flower only etc.
3. Flower: General keywords such as buy flowers, buy flowers online etc.

I think this way you can target user who are specifically looking for lotus flowers and typing in google keywords which has term lotus and similarly for rose and other types for flowers.

With the help of "Flower" adgroup you can target who are looking for flowers but not sure which flower they want. You can redirect users to the page where various flower types are available. You can also negative in this adgroup lotus and rose to avoid competition within campaign.

You can wait and see what others suggest!

Thanks
Neha
Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor Alumni
# 3
Top Contributor Alumni

In addition to NehaGupta's excellent advice, I only wanted to add a couple of thoughts about keywords in general.

You never want to use the same keyword with the same match type in more than one place in a single campaign. Remember, it's your keywords that the AdWords program is trying to match to user's search query.

The example you described winds up looking like this:

Ad Group        Keyword

Rose            +buy +flower

Lotus           +buy +flower

Now, assume a user searches for buy flower.  

That search query matches a keyword in your campaign, but the keyword is in two places, so what to do? Your Ad Group construction requires the AdWords software to guess psychically that what the searcher meant by "flower" was "rose" or "lotus" but the program isn't actually psychic Smiley Happy and it won't know that.

What the program will do, instead, is choose one of these identical keywords and serve 99% of the search traffic to it. 

The organization that NehaGupta suggested is much better. When someone searches with rose-related keywords, they'll see ads about roses. When they search with lotus-related keywords, they'll see ads about lotuses. And, if they search for flowers generically, you have ads that can be served.

I would recommend reading How to buld the best keyword list in the AdWords Help center.

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Folk,

I would like to only ask both same keywords with two different destination url are compete or not?

Yes, They will compete, as I was not sure, hence I drafted a query to adwords community.

Thanks Smiley Happy