Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Keyword

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I think I need to clarify what I want for the keyword setting of my campaign.

I want my ads show up only if the email content contain the word apple and orange both. But they are not necessary together as a phrase.

For example, if the email content is:

.......apple............................................................................................

..........................................................................................................

..............................................................orange....................................

Then, my ads will show up

It does not matter if orange come first and apple come after. 

But if the content contain only one word, either apple or orange but not both of them, then I do not want my ads show up.

Hope clear.

Please help.

Thanks

David

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author So D
September 2015

Re: Keyword

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi David, your description matches the purpose of the Modified Broad Match, which you'd add to your Account in the format:

+apple +orange (or +orange +apple - it's the same)

This requires that both "apple" and "orange" appear, but allows them to be in any order and with any other words around or inbetween them.

However, this works very well on the Search network but I'm not sure how well it'll work on Display (which is effectively what GMail is).  Keywords on the Display network are much more about "themes" (Google calls it "contextual targeting") than precisely matching actual words on the page so I'm uncertain how precise the results will be.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

View solution in original post

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I suppose that you are reffering to targeting gmail.

Google did not disclose in the help files how they target gmail , if it is text from the emails (which would be private information unlike public text from websites ) or if it is text from the subject lines.

In general with Display campaigns, even if you select a 2 keywords or more in an ad group, the click will be attributed to a single keyword, maybe because it was more often present on the page . To make sure that you have a good keyword targeting make ad groups each with 1 keyword. 

The fact that many keywords create a them in context targeting means that if a page is about a new car model for example , no mater what keywords are on the page, "the theme" can be only the car model , that entire page can be matched to a single keyword. It depends on how smart their algorithm is and they do not offer a tool to see what keywords represents "a theme" for a placement so it is all a mistery.

For example you write in your message a lot about "gmail keyword setting" that doesn't mean that your message will be fit to match the keyword "show up" even if you use it twice in the text.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author So D
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi David, your description matches the purpose of the Modified Broad Match, which you'd add to your Account in the format:

+apple +orange (or +orange +apple - it's the same)

This requires that both "apple" and "orange" appear, but allows them to be in any order and with any other words around or inbetween them.

However, this works very well on the Search network but I'm not sure how well it'll work on Display (which is effectively what GMail is).  Keywords on the Display network are much more about "themes" (Google calls it "contextual targeting") than precisely matching actual words on the page so I'm uncertain how precise the results will be.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Yes. Thanks for your detail reply.
David