AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2K members online now
2K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Keyword quality score makes no sense.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Keyword is the only place with quality score right?

I have a few keywords, pointing to 1 ad, pointing to a landing page saying wedding photography.

Now 'wedding photography' keyword has a lower quality score than 'wedding photographer'. I don't say wedding photographer anywhere on the landing page. What does that mean?

My landing page has a short blurb in plain English, no keyword stuffing etc. I have my page title and metas set. I'm not sure what to do.

2 Expert replyverified_user
3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: Keyword quality score makes no sense.

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi - perhaps the main thing to take away from the article is that if your campaigns are new, Google will set the QS based on the QS of those keywords from other advertisers and will only update the QS of your keywords once you have had some traffic.

In terms of where Sydney appears in the KW - it could make a difference if more people search and then click on Sydney wedding photographer than wedding photographer Sydney - since CTR is a significant factor in the later calculation of CTR....

As with most of there things you need to test and monitor.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author greenbear521
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 12
Top Contributor
Since the keywords are broad match Google will trigger you ad for search terms that are similar - since newborn and baby are pretty much the same thing and we're talking photos, then this is a very likely match and shouldn't really be a surprise.

Using negatives will not work for this instance since if you use -photo neither of your keywords would trigger, since photo is in the search term. and making it an exact negative [-photo] wont stop anything because very few people will search for the word photo on it's own.

instead you will need to look at using either phrase match

"baby photographer"

or broad match modifier

+baby + photographer

and you could add some negatives to try and avoid those people looking for cute baby photos such as :

-cute
-gallery
-album

etc.

Once you have some traffic you will be able to look at the search query reports and see what search terms are triggering your ads and add more negatives.

If I can give a little more advice.... you seem to be trying too hard to get your keywords right. It's not easy, and often you need to consider your first couple of hundred dollars spend as "market research" - think of it like this.... before the days of the internet we used to come up with ad campaigns and pay companies to run focus groups to see which of our messages resonated best with our target market - as a 15 yr old I was shown an array of cover designs for 10cc's Deceptive Bends album - the one I liked best was not the one they used. I got paid something - can't remember what, or how much - but that's how we did things in the olden days!

Today we can run our campaigns and - this is the important thing - change them as we go. That in itself is something that would sound incredible to one of the Mad Men. But there it is. We can launch a campaign as tweak it as we go.

How much would you pay for a brilliant consultant to give you a complete list of effective keywords - and negative keywords that would work for your business? Having built your website and allocated a budget to your campaigns - spending something to make sure that the budget was spent well and that the money you spent on the website was also not wasted would be worth quite a bit. If you were looking to spend $1000 you'd probably be happy to use $200 of that to make sure that things were set up so as to me effective.

That $200 is your first few days of AdWords spend. Keep a close eye on things, make your adjustments and let your market tell you what works and what doesn't. "Wasting" the first $200 will probably improve the performance of the remaining $800 to the extent that the overall results of the $1,000 are better than they would have been.

I hope that makes sense.....

One last thought - there's always going to be a chunk of useless traffic - and you are going to pay for it. Concentrate on the traffic that works and do what you can to eliminate the wastage, but don't concentrate on the waste.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
OK that's very complex!
So if I location limit my ads, do I want my keyword to be 'wedding photography' or 'Sydney wedding photography' ?
I take it where Sydney appears in the keyword doesn't make a difference.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi - perhaps the main thing to take away from the article is that if your campaigns are new, Google will set the QS based on the QS of those keywords from other advertisers and will only update the QS of your keywords once you have had some traffic.

In terms of where Sydney appears in the KW - it could make a difference if more people search and then click on Sydney wedding photographer than wedding photographer Sydney - since CTR is a significant factor in the later calculation of CTR....

As with most of there things you need to test and monitor.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Hi greenbear521,

I usually recommend against using the city name in your keywords, as it usually ends up in the "Low Search Volume" category and does not trigger your ads.. Geo-targeting takes care of that.

Review: use geo-targeting to "Sydney". Do not include "Sydney" in your keywords.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
OK I'll remove all the location words.
One thing I don't get is why a Low Search Volume keyword impacts me. The worse it can do is not trigger any ads right? How can it actually make my other word/ads worse? If nobody searches for it, then when someone does search for it surely it's better to have it there?

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
I tend to do the same as Pete and avoid using the city name in the keyword - but I usually try to then use it in the ad copy as this tends to help with the CTR - so a keyword of wedding photographer with geo target for Sydney and then a headline of Wedding Photos Sydney for example would be my preferred combination as a starting point.

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

The headline is a bit short. I'm not sure about using 'photos' vs 'photography' there.

Also, I saw one of my 'XYZ Sydney' got an impression, when I had 'XYZ' by itself which took most impressions. It seems strange. I guess the 1st one would then dilute my keyword performance? Which increases my bid cost? Is that why I want fewer keywords?

How does 's' work? I have keywords

1. baby photo
  2. baby photos

quality score is 5 & 4

2 has low ad relevance

Why on earth does s make a difference? I have broad search I'd think I only need one of these

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
The headline has a max character count of 25 so Photography didn't fit... but I take your point.

In my experience here's how these things work... a searcher doesn't often include the twon - they are in Sydney, and need a wedding photographer. So they search for wedding photographer.... and get ads from wedding photographers all over the place. so then they refine their search and add Sydney......
But - if you have Sydney in your headline, or in your display URL for example, then in that first set of results, your ad will stand out. Just like we can spot our own name in a list, so too can we spot our home town - and so you might get the click after the first search. But in any event you will be in both searches.....

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor
Hi greenbear521,

Quite often, the difference between single and plural also indicates intention to a certain extent. I'm not sure either of these keywords are really relevant to your service. A query of either "baby photos" or "baby photo" does not necessarily indicate intent to purchase photographer services. That person could just be looking for cute baby photos, not a good baby photographer. That probably contributes to the low QS you are getting on these 2 keywords.

I would try "baby photographer" and "baby photographers" instead, and variations on those. There's no good reason to use an abbreviation in your keywords. Don't use DKI. It seems like a shortcut to writing good ads, but often it is not that and can produce unexpected results. Keep your ad groups tightly focused. "Baby photographer" in one group, "Wedding photographer" in another, and so on. Make sure your ad copy and landing page are relevant to the group. "Relevance" of the keyword to the ad copy is really all about CTR.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords