AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
5.2K members online now
5.2K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Keyword planner, are the stats inclusive?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi I was wondering when I am looking at a keyword planner, how exactly the statistics are related to the terms. For example if I type in "dancing" for my city I get around 3,500 monthly searches. 

dancing

Now I am aware of modifiers in adwords that let me specify how exact I want my term to be used (ie. synonyms, allow terms before or after, allow terms in the middle etc.), where does keyword research fall on this?

Are these 3.5k searches JUST for "dancing" or ANY QUERY WITH WORK DANCING IN IT? Does it take close synonyms or word forms like dance? Is there an article I can get all the specifications in? 

Are there any options to modify my query to get stats for different specificity levels?

Below I see a long list of keywords:

dancing2

Are these in any way related to the 3.5k statistic? Or just relevant and shown as suggestions?

Thank you!

Alex

2 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

It's only for exact match.  However, either way, I find the numbers to be way off.  The smaller the territory you are looking at, the further off the numbers are.  I'd use it more as a guide to know that "music" gets more searches than "swing dance" etc. Don't rely on the actual number to be perfectly accurate.

Re: Keyword planner, are the stats inclusive?

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

@Alex M

>>"Average monthly searches ("Avg. monthly searches"): The average number of times people have searched for a keyword and its close variants based on the targeting settings and date range you've selected. By default, we average the number of searches for the term over a 12-month period.

>>"Keep in mind that historical stats like average monthly searches are only shown for exact match. For example, let's say your keyword is dark chocolate. If you want to check that keyword's average monthly searches, we'll show you the same exact match stats whether you use a broad, phrase, or exact match type with dark chocolate. Traffic forecasts like clicks and cost, on the other hand, do take into account keyword match types. For example, if you get forecasts for a list of broad match keywords, we'll take into account any overlap between those keywords.

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6371305

Exact match also includes close variants. In your example: Dancing, dancers, dance,  dances...etc...

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you guys! What I found is 'book hotel' and 'book hotels' shows the same number of searches. So I guess it is taken as 'close variant.' Are there exact rules when two word forms will be grouped as same or different? When I use Yandex they basically have a grammar lesson page where they break down how their same/different grouping works.

Cheers.