2.9K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Keyword planner and tool have significantly different volumes

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Just trying to figure out the differences between Keyword Planner and Tool.  Yes, i have read most of the documentation (https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/3141229) and i expect keyword planner to have more search results since it integrates averages across all devices.

Anyways, this is what I am doing:  I have a list of 300 Keywords.  Using same targeting (google+search partners, same country, etc) for both planner and tool, I enter the keywords into Tool and I get about 600K local searches (after downloading the excel sheet and adding up the local searches).  While in Planner I enter the same list and I get a total of about 50K average searches.

Why such a big difference?  Is planner removing the double counts or doing something some sort of de-duplication?

Thanks!

TD

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Keyword planner and tool have significantly different volumes

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hello;
Apart from the match type differences (did you notice that ?) I think that the accuracy of the geo targeting in the keyword planner is better, hence tha data is more reliable.
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thanks, I'm just a bit confused by the notion that KW Planner is supposed to give you MORE results and I'm getting significantly less.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi again;
Not quite; The keyword planner should give you more accurate results...
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
The keyword planner gives moire accurate results and advance level targeting option.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
The idea of keyword planner is to help advertiser estimate more accurately so that when you make a proposal or market research, you will not be lying neither to yourselves or your clients since what you see is pretty much what you will get.

It's not like the keyword tool give you a very broad ideas where you maybe discover some keywords that people may search for and then you will add them into your keyword lists.

Cheers
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
Hello.

There are two important differences between the Keyword Tool and the Keyword Planner, one hinted at by Moshe and the other one concerning the devices involved.

The Keyword Tool shows data for Broad Match by default, for Desktops and Laptops.
The Keyword Planner shows data for Exact Match only (significantly less), but for all devices.

So, unless a keyword has a large search volume on mobile only, the fact that the KW Tool shows you broad matches usually makes the KW Tool show way more searches.
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
@AdWiser "The Keyword Planner shows data for Exact Match only (significantly less), but for all devices." Is this true? I have the option of doing broad in Planner - do you have any documentation showing this?
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author TwoDoor
September 2015

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

If I may join this ping-pong game.

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/3141229?hl=en

"

Historical search volume statistics

With Keyword Tool, we showed you statistics for broad match by default with the ability to get statistics for other match types, like phrase and exact match. With Keyword Planner, you'll get historical statistics only for exact match. "

You can see statistics for other keyword matches after you select a keyword and click to "Review estimates" button.

A googler explained this to me here :

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Set-up-and-basics/Hide-account-keywords-in-keyword-planner-h...

If you try to use BMM and simple broad in the keyword planner you might get zero estimates for the simple broad as I have observed here (and still waiting for a "why" explanation ) :

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Measure-results/Keyword-planner-simple-broad-estimates-overr...

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Hover over the Avg. Monthly Searches in KW Planner and you'll see this: "About the number: We calculate the 12-month average of the number of searches for this exact keyword based on the location and Search Network targeting settings that you've selected. "

The option for broad / phrase in Planner refers to the match type that will be used when the keywords will be added to your plan, not the estimates shown. Have a look for yourself, you can change it from Broad to Exact and the number will stay put.

Later edit: Adrian has linked to the documentation you requested.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.