Guide Me
star_border

Keyword planner : 100x higher Avg. Month. Searches for Search Partners

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I am doing some research today in the Keyword planner have seen very different results in terms of volume when switching from the default "Google" to "Google+search partners" and I would like to understand why are these results so different .

For example : Location United Kingdom, language English, search term "holidays in majorca" , the Google segment shows 3600 Avg. Monthly Searches and when I switch to Google+Search Partners ... 301.000 avg. monthly searches. This leads me to believe that the avg. monthly searches reported for the "Search partners" are not in exact match as they should be for the Google segment.

Same different results for searching "flights to amsterdam" (UK, english) , Google Searches 33.100 avg. monthly searches and Google+Search Partners = 301.000 avg. monthly searches.

See screenshots below :

http://goo.gl/im8qN0

http://goo.gl/E0LuDC

1 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Adrian B
September 2015

Re: Keyword planner : 100x higher Avg. Month. Searches for Search Part

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Honestly, the Keyword Planner numbers are an estimate at best. I've found once you start narrowing the geography that the estimates are further off. I don't think I have ever seen a case where the numbers actually match to the "actuals" at the end of the month.

I would use the numbers more of a benchmark. Is there going to be traffic there? Are others bidding on the terms? What's the estimated CPC? You can test a few different keywords and more or less get an idea of it will be "high" traffic, "low" traffic, or "no" traffic.

I do give the numbers to clients -- BUT, I always preface it with a disclaimer saying it is only an estimate.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Adrian,

I don't think SP always brings in 100x the volume of Google but in the travel vertical it very well could be. Trip Advisor, Kayak, Priceline, and Orbitz are all within Google's display network and I assume since they also have search functions that they likely are part of the Search Partner program, as well. There's a lot of travel search volume across those sites, for certain.

Like Shanee said, I always take keyword planner numbers with a giant grain of salt. There are so many factors at play. Plus, if you scrolled through the list, my guess is that many of the keywords are too broad or not quite a good fit anyway. It serves for a nice baseline and is a great brainstorming tool.

Best,
Amy

View solution in original post

Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner
Hello,

Google has tons of search partner sites. On the internet there just few resources showing maybe 100+- search partners for Google Adwords. And these are just the partners we know about. If you add up 3600 searches from google + searches from another 100+(maybe 200+ maybe 1000+) parner sites, there goes your high number I believe.

Best regards,

Alex

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

So search partners should constantly bring 100+ more volume than Google search alone ?

I am not seeing such big differences on many other search terms, usually the plus in volume if I select +Search partners is at most 2x, meaning 100% more Avg. Monthly Searches for adding the Search partners targeting.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Honestly, the Keyword Planner numbers are an estimate at best. I've found once you start narrowing the geography that the estimates are further off. I don't think I have ever seen a case where the numbers actually match to the "actuals" at the end of the month.

I would use the numbers more of a benchmark. Is there going to be traffic there? Are others bidding on the terms? What's the estimated CPC? You can test a few different keywords and more or less get an idea of it will be "high" traffic, "low" traffic, or "no" traffic.

I do give the numbers to clients -- BUT, I always preface it with a disclaimer saying it is only an estimate.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Adrian,

I don't think SP always brings in 100x the volume of Google but in the travel vertical it very well could be. Trip Advisor, Kayak, Priceline, and Orbitz are all within Google's display network and I assume since they also have search functions that they likely are part of the Search Partner program, as well. There's a lot of travel search volume across those sites, for certain.

Like Shanee said, I always take keyword planner numbers with a giant grain of salt. There are so many factors at play. Plus, if you scrolled through the list, my guess is that many of the keywords are too broad or not quite a good fit anyway. It serves for a nice baseline and is a great brainstorming tool.

Best,
Amy

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

Thank you for your answers.

I don't understand why you would say they are estimates. They are "Avg. monthly searches" shouldn't this mean actual historical data , once you establish a targeting configuration ( location, language, set of negatives and network) ?

What I wonder if these historical data for the past 12 months are on exact match or broad match. Hoovering over the info bubble for the metric "Avg. Monthly Searches" it says "The average number of times people have searched for this exact keyword based on the date range and targeting settings you have selected".

To me the numbers for this metric mean a total search volume which can be obtained if I have a very high QS and unlimited budget to get 0 % lost Impression share for that exact match keyword [holidays in majorca] .

So basically if I see that for January 2014 , there were 5400 searches, I should pretty much gain around 5000 impressions that month with that exact match keyword. You don't agree on this ?

My main concern is that I should place such a keyword in a new campaign where "Search partners" are activated, to limit the spend and prevent a canibalization of the budget .

So to me this translates in a need to split new keywords in 2 types of campaigns "Search only" and "Search with search partners", based on whether they have very high potential traffic in the keyword planner or not.

Is this a strategy you would regularly use to put some keywords in a different campaign where you allow search parthers ?

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
The reason it's an estimate is b/c you are using past data to forecast future data. So, it won't possibly be identical, but is a good jumping point. Or, most likely you will have multiple keywords in an ad group -- Many of which could be triggered for the same search query. But, Google will only trigger your keyword with the highest ad rank. So, even though a keyword *could* have 5K impressions. It might not.

Separating by networks as you mention is not an easy or cut and dry task. You won't be able to determine which of your phrases will trigger. Google, again, will choose the one with the highest ad rank. I always start with search partners, then segment my data by network to see how they perform against each other. Very often, search partners perform as well, if not better, than Google alone. So, why limit yourself?

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

I am planning to use exact match keywords from what I find in the keyword planner. The chances for another keyword to trigger that exact match are low and for this we have the "Keyword diagnosis" button to check overlaps. Phrase match keywords which have words in common can overlap more easily.

With a potential Search volume of 300.000 and a CTR of at least 1% , that is at least 3000 clicks per month from this exact match keyword alone (considering the Search partners segment) . If the client has a budget for around 3000 clicks per month, would you keep such a keyword together with others without a separate budget restriction just for it ?

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
I agree with what Shanee said regarding keeping the keywords together to be served on both networks but I appreciate the thought that went into it from both angles.

As for your next question about separating out keywords - are you talking about separating out one specific exact match keyword or setting up your campaigns to separate all exact match keywords from phrase match keywords? Just want to be sure I understand!

If you are talking about just one specific keyword, I would include it in the same campaign with all of the others. After you have more performance data specific to your site and goals, you could decide if you want to separate it out.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

I am talking about keeping this particular keyword in exact match in a different campaign where search partners are allowed , but with a limit on the budget.

Like I wrote before , considering a minimum 1% CTR from this keyword alone, with an avg. monthly search volume of 300.000 searches (aproximately the same number of impressions) , it can generate around 3000 clicks. Since this particular account does not have a budget for so many clicks for a single keyword, the separation per campaigns is done just because of budget, to prevent this keyword from draining the entire budget.