Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Keyword matching options & search term report

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I was wondering if with AdWords option of: “Include plurals, misspellings and other close variants” for phase and exact and the fact that BMM matches countless word order and spelling variations, should I still include i.e. “runner”, “running” and “runners”? Can adding different variations of the keywords in my keyword list decrease my CPC or have better chances of winning the bid/appearing on the top of the page, because the keyword will be in its “exact form” (exact as exact to what did the searcher typed into Google, not the keyword match type). If adding them will make no difference why does AdWords show these variations in the “Search term report” – which basically suggest what keywords should be added or excluded to your campaigns/ad groups?

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Theresa_Zook (Top Contributor Alumni)
September 2015

Re: Keyword matching options & search term report

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Nata,

>> have better chances of winning the bid/appearing on the top of the page, because the keyword will be in its “exact form” <<

Yep, that's the right assumption. The difference will not be huge but you'll have a slight ranking advantage.

Best,

Lakatos

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Theresa_Zook (Top Contributor Alumni)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Nata,

>> have better chances of winning the bid/appearing on the top of the page, because the keyword will be in its “exact form” <<

Yep, that's the right assumption. The difference will not be huge but you'll have a slight ranking advantage.

Best,

Lakatos

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello ;

This is a nice question ; though I have no definitive answer; 

Though in general,"exact match" is included within BMM (but not misspellings) - if your bid is the same for all match types - the most restrictive match type will trigger the ad. If you go with the strategy of having all match types (for the same keyword) in the same ad-group, you can bid higher on the exact match.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’