Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Keyword match types

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey guys! 

I'm currently targeting specific event on my campaign and added both phrase and exact match type of keyword. I was talking to google support assistant and was told that having both type of keyword for that one specific keyword will create competition and harm the keyword ranks, instead I should use broadmatch type of keyword. +fintech +summit. 

I thought similar type of keyword match types will compete / clash only if they are in different ad groups. What do you think? 

The keywords under my ad group:

[fintech summit]
"fintech summit"

Thanks

Ergin

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Keyword match types

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hello, Ergin, a phrase match type is not useful in 99.9% of the cases.
You can just use one keyword +fintech +summit.

If after checking search report you will see that [fintech summit] is giving higher conversion rate, you can add it in exact match and increase bids for it.

If it has lower conversion rate you can put [fintech summit] in a separate ad group with lower bid and put [fintech summit] as negative keyword in your BMM group.

But it must have enough traffic to make any conclusion of that kind, I would recommend just to use BMM and don't forget about negative keywords.
Cheers, Alexey
UAWC Agency
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Re: Keyword match types

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star
Regarding the advice from the Googler...

Yes, the different match types will often compete in the same ad auction.

No, this will not harm their rank or quality score.

And I agree with Alexey that in most cases BMM is just as effective as phrase match.