AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Keyword match types

Badged Google Partner
# 1
Badged Google Partner

Hello, I was wondering lately. Is it better to have the same word in broad match, exact match and phrase match or is it better to have only one match type per keyword?

Do these words fight between each other in keyword auction?

I was thinking about system all one word keywords into exact. All 2 words keywords in phrase match and vice versa ->for example Fresh Apples, Apples Fresh. And all long tail keywords 3+(3 included) into modified broad match.

+ Keywords where there is predicament for higher search rate ->exact match.

+in optimization look for well perfoming words and change their match type to exact match.

What do you think about it?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Keyword match types

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi Alex

Well I usually use different kind of combination of same word in campaigns. for a instance if Im running a campaign majorly focused on my brand name I always try so many variations of my brand name and I do A/B testing with them to understand which one works better. Also match type is something you need to decide with campaign expectations. For an Eg if I'm only focusing on brand name in my campaign I usually go high bid with exact match type for brand name keyword

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Alex A,

the only correct answer is testing, testing, testing...
But if you start the campaign, maybe broad match or modified braod match should be used in the begining, and later on from the search query report restucture your campaign within silos - adgroup with broad KW has the phrase and excat as negative, phrase adgroup (with KW bids a little above the broad ones) with exact KW negatives and so on.
Look for silos techniques and there will be a lot of interesting articles. I recommned Brad Geddes

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Alex,

It all comes down to what you want to do on the account itself. If you are still growing the KW list than Broad match is better in the begining. As the account matures and you are able to determine which of your keywords are the most profitable and searched on your vertical you can then start phrase and exact match campaigns.

I would suggest adding additional ad groups based around match type as well as theme so that you are able to use embedded negatives and thus send the search queries to the exact ad that you want them to see.

Choosing match type based on length of keywords is not suggested.

read all about keyword match types here:
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2497836?hl=en

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Bidding on more than one match type per keyword and using explicit bidding can be an effective strategy if you have the knowledge and the time to set it up correctly. The keywords don't really "fight" each other, but in general you would bid higher for the more relevant variations of the keyword and lower for the more broad variations. This allows you to bid stronger for the keywords that you know convert well, while picking up some lower cost traffic from the variations that are less relevant. Of course, you don't want to bid on anything that is not likely to convert as that would result in wasted budget. In the example above, you are not really using exactly the same keyword, you are describing a slightly different approach where you tighten up the match type based upon the likely search volume. That can also be a good strategy if setup correctly, but again you want to take the time to set it up well, monitor your results and test as needed. Good luck!