AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.2K members online now
3.2K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Keyword match types

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all, 

Two quick questions guys as this is my first attempt at Google Adwords. 

My client rents luxury villas in Greece. If I use broad match modifier for the keyword +villas +Greece is my ad likely to appear if someone searches "private villas to rent in Greece" ??? Same for +villa +rental +greek +islands. Will my ad appear if someone searches for "luxury villas rentals in Greek islands"? 

Also, regarding negative keywords, I don't want my ad to appear for hotels or for "cheap villas". How should I use these keywords? What is the best negative match type to use? e.g. [hotel] & [cheap] would be fine?

Thank you all in advance, 

Looking forward to ur reply. 

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Polina D
May 2017

Keyword match types

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Polina D,

For your 1st query, your are absolutely right.

Using these keywords as BMM, ads will trigger on corresponding queries.

For 2nd query, You can add hotel and cheap in broad at account level from the shared library or individually to all /any specific campaign or ad group.

Regards
Archit, AdWords Top Contributor, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Polina D
May 2017

Keyword match types

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Polina D,

For your 1st query, your are absolutely right.

Using these keywords as BMM, ads will trigger on corresponding queries.

For 2nd query, You can add hotel and cheap in broad at account level from the shared library or individually to all /any specific campaign or ad group.

Regards
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Keyword match types

Google Employee
# 3
Google Employee

Hi Polina, 

Thanks for reaching out. 

When using Broad match modifier, ads may show on searches that contain the modified term (or close variations, but not synonyms), in any order. In this case, since the term 'villas' and 'Greece' are in the search query, your ads will be eligible to show. 

For search campaigns, you can use broad, exact, or phrase match negative keywords. However, these negative match types work differently than their positive counterparts.

The main difference is that you'll need to add synonyms, singular or plural versions, misspellings, and other close variations if you want to exclude them. How your negative keywords impact your eligibility will depend on the match type. You can read more about different negative keyword match types here.  

Keyword match types

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Dear @Archit, thank you very much for your reply. That sounds great. 

However, if my competitors use exact phrases such as [Rent a luxury villa in Greece], are they more likely to appear than I am? 

Keyword match types

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Not necessarily. The system determines the ad rank for every real time ad auction for a particular query.

Ad Rank is recalculated each time your ad is eligible to appear and competes in an auction, so your ad position can fluctuate each time depending on your competition at that moment.  The main components of your Ad Rank are your bids and the quality of your ads and website and the expected impact from your extensions and other ad formats.

If you are using ad extensions and bidding high enough with your BMM keywords, you can gain a higher ad rank than the competitor using exact match term with lower bids.

Though the exact match keywords yields high expected CTR which helps in improving the quality score(one of the factor determining the ad rank).

Regards