AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Keyword match type???

aks
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
aks
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

Is it good to put different keyword match type in a same campaign or should i make different campaign for different match type????

Re: Keyword match type???

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
I wouldn't put it in separate campaigns. Ad groups is a matter of personal preference. Some people "stagger" their bids... so exact match is the highest bid, phrase match is lower, and broad lowest.

The more **bleep** way is to put the match types in separate ad groups, and negative out the same keywords in other ad groups in the more specific match types. I'm a bit too lazy for that Smiley Wink

(There are multiple negative match types.)

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi aks

I agree with David on this one, you can without problems put different match types into the same campaign. The next thing is whether to put broad match terms in one ad group, phrase in another and exat match in a third or stack them all together in one ad group. There are different combinations to do, and various tests I have run in order to find the optimal unfortunately gives different results varying from industry to industry. 

But personally I find myself going back to splitting the keywords up, having broad match terms in one ad group, the exact match in another and so on.

/Jonas

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

I only create a new campaign if one of the following is true:

• I do want to target a different location AND switch this one OFF in the main campaign
  • I want a sample set of keywords / adgroups with different budget AND switch these one OFF in the main campaign
  • I want to target a different network (display / tablets / mobile etc) AND switch this one OFF in the main campaign
  • I want to target a specific language AND switch this one OFF in the main campaign

Everything else does not seem worth any effort, cause adwords picks keywords accross campaigns in one account. So it would only be for your personal overview.

Seperating keywords out into different adgroups makes only sense if you want to apply special negative keywords AND this only if you quality scores are bad, so you can fall for the matching rule: "There is a cheaper keyword with a higher Quality Score and Ad Rank" => In this case adwords does not pick the best matching keyword, but makes a quality decision.

If you have an overview problem better use adwords editor.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Aks,

I would say, it would purely depend on why you want to keep the different matchtypes in different campaigns.  Implementation wise its possible and AdWords would then pick the best keyword from the mix and serve the ads.

Now, let's take a scenario, a store manager is selling "barbie dolls" but has a limited budget. Let's say $500 / day.

Also the store manager knows [buy barbie dolls] is going to convert and bring in sales but there is not much search volume for this keyword and will never spend more than $100. So the store manager can create a Exact match campaign and keep a higher budget (around $500).

Then create a separate Broad campaign with all the keywords that the store manager wants to cover and then put in the campaign budget as $300 (set as $300 since AdWords can spend 20% of budget on a given day)

This setup makes sure that, not more than $420 - $430 is spent in the account, but if any search happenes on the "Exact" word the ad would be still served.

I hope I have explained it, but if you have any questions please feel free to ask.

Thanks,

Nimesh.