AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2K members online now
2K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Keyword list question

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I am setting up a PPC campaign and have a question regarding keywords list.

My question is should I add multiple version of keyword when using borad match modifier option. For example if I am setting a campaign for HTC mobiles and for product HTC Evo 3d model. So if I add keyword +htc +evo +3d in my ad group, should I add +buy +htc +evo +3d keyword in my list as well. Because logically and adwords setting for broad match modifier  option all of the mentioned terms should be present in user query to trigger ad. So keyword +htc +evo +3d can trigger ad on this user query "buy htc evo 3d" so logically there is no need to add +buy +htc +evo +3d in keywords list or should I add +buy +htc +evo +3d keyword in my list. So please let me know that why I do add or not this keyword in my list.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by LynnyRose (Follower ✭ ✭ ☆)
September 2015

Re: Keyword list question

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Two points:

1) Yes, I would include the modified broad match keyword with +buy included.  As others have said, you want more control.  I suspect you'll find this keyword performs better but is also more competitive so you will likely choose to bid higher than the more generic keyword.

2) No reason not to include more than one match type in a single ad group.  I often pair exact matches with modified broad matches in the same ad group.  With those two, there's often no need to use the "regular" broad match or phrase match.  Use the modified broad match initially and then check your search term reports on a regular basis and add exact matches you find the modified broad match triggered.  Look at your search term reports from different points of view - sort by impressions but also by clicks and also by conversions.  Add exact matches as needed based on that data.

IOW, don't be lazy and just rely on Google to trigger the right keywords for you from a single modified broad match keyword.  Remember, too, that you might want different bids based on the underlying search queries.  That's when you need exact matches, at the appropriate bids.

View solution in original post

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hey imMrunal,

I would definitely add as many variations as possible, as long as all are relevant and organized properly within your campaign. It cannot hurt to test multiple variations and then determine which keywords are working and which aren't. Do you have conversion tracking setup?

Thanks,

BI

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

If you are running the broad match with the modifier I would add the additional keywords like (buy hvo..) as phrase and exact matches because you will pay less for those keywords. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi BlueIon,

Thank you for your help.

Yes, I have setup conversion tracking. I am also using re-marketing as well.

I agree by testing I can find working keywords. But my question is why I add two keywords when single keyword work of both.

Thanks,

mr

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi LawyerCentral,

Yes you are right, but as per PPC experts we should add single match type keywords in an ad group. So if I am using broad match modifier in an adgroup so should I add two keywords when a single keyword can work of both.

Thanks,

mr

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes, you are right it will work for both but you may pay less for a phrase match or a broad match. The decision is entirely up to you but you may be surprised you may have a better conversion rate on a phrase match or broad match this is why I recommend using different match types to test and see which one works best for you.

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hey imMrunal,

I would add both because they are not the same keyword. While +htc +evo +3d may trigger buy htc evo 3d in theory, this may not always be the case. By adding it, you know that your ads should definitely appear. I always like giving myself more control rather than relying on Google when possible.

In addition, by adding both +htc +evo +3d & +buy +htc +evo +3d you will be able to measure performance independently. You may find that +buy +htc +evo +3d performs much better than +htc +evo +3d or vice versa.

Thanks,

BI

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by LynnyRose (Follower ✭ ✭ ☆)
September 2015

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Two points:

1) Yes, I would include the modified broad match keyword with +buy included.  As others have said, you want more control.  I suspect you'll find this keyword performs better but is also more competitive so you will likely choose to bid higher than the more generic keyword.

2) No reason not to include more than one match type in a single ad group.  I often pair exact matches with modified broad matches in the same ad group.  With those two, there's often no need to use the "regular" broad match or phrase match.  Use the modified broad match initially and then check your search term reports on a regular basis and add exact matches you find the modified broad match triggered.  Look at your search term reports from different points of view - sort by impressions but also by clicks and also by conversions.  Add exact matches as needed based on that data.

IOW, don't be lazy and just rely on Google to trigger the right keywords for you from a single modified broad match keyword.  Remember, too, that you might want different bids based on the underlying search queries.  That's when you need exact matches, at the appropriate bids.