1.7K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Keyword ideas from entire site

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm trying to use Keyword Planner to get keyword ideas for an existing site. I enter my site's landing page as directed, and I get a list of about 650 keywords. When I download the list to a csv file, there is a column at the far right called "Extracted From" which lists a URL from my website. 

The problem is that all 650 keywords have the same URL shown in the "Extracted From" column, and all of those keywords are related to the subject of that particular page. It seems like the tool is only generating ideas based on the content of that one page.

The page is not my landing page, it's just one of my ~50 pages of content that are indexed in Google. My site is built on WordPress and there's nothing about it that's out of the ordinary. I only have a few plugins and all of those are widely used.

Even more strange, I entered the URL for another similar content page and the data retrieved was exactly the same as it was when I entered my landing page.

I've searched for this issue and i can't figure out what's going on. My goal is to get a list of keywords to target for my whole site, and i'm only getting suggestions for one random page.

Thoughts? What am i missing or doing wrong?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi @Wess J!

welcome to the community!

actually, keyword planner tool doesn't know about your business. This tool just analyzes your page content and deliver the keywords data based on your page contents.

The best way is to enter the main keyword related to your business in keyword planner and then download all the keywords data from it. and finally check each keyword properly if keyword makes sense then add it to your final sheet. otherwise, kick it out from a spreadsheet.

I recommend you that please take this course keyword research in depth or read this blog article about keyword research before going ahead. because little knowledge of keyword research may get you in wrong way and money will be just wasted nothing else. so, be careful at keyword research because it's the most important part of your campaign.

Finally good luck @Wess J with your keyword research.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

"This tool just analyzes your page content and deliver the keywords data based on your page contents"

That's precisely what I am trying to do. The problem is that the tool appears to only be using content from one page.

Re: Keyword ideas from entire site

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Wess,

If you are wanting to learn more about the Adwords Keyword Planner Tool, you should go to Google sources. Google has provided a complete help file system on this great research tool for AdWords. Please use this link to access it.

With that said, you have stated any desire to take classes or learn about keywords... but that the tool is not performing as you expected it to. Taking courses will certainly not help you resolve that, so lets try and do that. 

To get keyword ideas generated from your whole website, and not just from the single page you entered, add and then verify your site. If your account is managed, the account owner must add and verify site ownership. After you add and verify your site, it can take up to a month to see keyword ideas generated from your whole website. 

Also, the AdWords Keyword Planner Tool uses historical data from your AdWords account so it is likely the URL you are seeing is in use with one of your campaigns. I get the same results, depending on various aspects of my uses of the tool.  

Kind Regards,

James

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

My site has been using search console per the instructions above for several months.