Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Keyword Search Volume

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi All, 

I have searched a keyword in "Keyword Planner" that I am using it in my SEM campaign. It showed me an average monthly searches is "170" and the competition is "Medium". When I look the top for the same keyword, it showed a bar chart for the whole year monthly wise which are having minimum 20k average searches. I have attached a picture for your reference. How are they calculating the average search volume and why it differs from the top chart?Keyword Planner – Google AdWords.png

Thanks in advance, 

Ashok Kumar V

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Rakesh Kumar (Top Contributor)
May 2016

Re: Keyword Search Volume

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
If you click on the Ad Group Ideas tab - all of the hundreds of keywords listed there will collectively add up to the 20K+ searches.

You have the specific answer of 170/month. The chart is more for showing the trend over a year, rather than giving you query numbers.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Rakesh Kumar (Top Contributor)
May 2016

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
If you click on the Ad Group Ideas tab - all of the hundreds of keywords listed there will collectively add up to the 20K+ searches.

You have the specific answer of 170/month. The chart is more for showing the trend over a year, rather than giving you query numbers.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi ashok,

The chart reflects the month wise data for a year from May 2015 to Apr 2016 for all the similar searches while the below data represents the average of that complete year for exact match searches.

Regards
Archit, AdWords Top Contributor, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Ashok,

Bar graph is showing the searches occurred in the respective months and data tabulated is the average of all the months for which the date range has been selected.

Also, the graph is giving wonderful insight that people have searched for the keyword more in the month of April and the slope is positive for this keyword.

Hope this will help you.

Best,

Pushpendra Singh

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello Rob,

Yes Rob. But the data seems inaccurate. is it common or what?

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
The numbers look accurate to me. AWS is a very popular service and all the different searches for it add up to the 30K or 40K that Google says.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you so much Rob!