AdWords
3.9K members online now
3.9K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Keyword Quality Score - Does it Effect Other Keywords?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

If you add a lot of broad match search terms to an ad group (in many cases this can be a strategy, INITIALLY, to try to uncover the best performing 'long tail keywords'), and you know these keywords will have low QS because of being so broad they will have a very low CTR, does adding keywords with low QS have residual negative effects beyond just that particular keyword's performance in the auction?  Is there an ad-group or ad level QS calculation that is factored in that can be negatively effected by having to many broad keywords in the ad group?

What I'm REALLY getting at is, so in essence, on broad keywords with very low CTR and QS, is it better to pause them or turn the bid way down so you still have a chance of getting a stray conversion from an obscure long-tail keyword once in a blue moon?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Keyword Quality Score - Does it Effect Other Keywords?

Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for posting to the Community. The short answer is nope--quality score is calculated on an auction-by-auction basis for every individual keyword. And for the more in-depth answer, I'm going to refer you to this recent conversation about quality score.

Hope this helps!
Cassie

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Based on the information from that other thread you mentioned and Google's own information at:

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2454010?hl=en

While techinically I suppose the QS itself is not directly factored into other keywords.  However this article reveals there are account-wide performance factors considered in the QS calculation.  Those performance factors are effected by the performance of all keywords across the account that are in campaigns and ads that share the same display URL, geographic target, and device target.  This in my opinion creates sort of a catch 22 that results in KW QS indirectly effecting the QS of other Keywords.

I have started a thread with a more specific thesis here.  Pay special attention to the end where my example is a store that sells product in multiple very different categories.  Essentially if what Google published is true, if a store had very poor performance in one category it could effect QS of Keywords in a completely different category of products since these factors are ACCOUNT WIDE! Yikes.

https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Performance-Optimization/Is-Keyword-Quality-Score-Not-Trul...

I am hoping you will confirm these are not account wide factors and only campaign-wide factors because otherwise I don't see how you could argue that 

Community Manager
# 4
Community Manager
Hi Jeff,

Everything in that Help Center article you linked to, and the Help Center in general, is correct. Certainly there is performance information from your account as a whole that factors into ad rank. For example, if your site is not mobile optimized, and as a result, your ads which show up on mobile searches have performed poorly in the past, the system uses that information when calculating your ad rank for a mobile auction. But let's say you get a new mobile site tomorrow; going forward, your site should perform much better on mobile, and that improved performance will influence your ad rank since it is calculated on an auction-by-auction basis.

However, many advertisers fall into mistakenly thinking that there is an "account-level quality score," and that is not the case. A keyword in Ad Group 1 with a quality score of 1 does not doom your account or affect your new keywords, which will start off with an estimate of 6/10. But if you have quality scores of 1 on the majority of your keywords, that's an indication to you as an advertiser that you may need to rethink your strategy and targeting.

The important things to keep in mind is that the Quality Score you see in your account is not your ad rank. Rather, it is an estimate of your Quality Score that does not take into account those auction-time factors that your ad rank depends on. So rather than try and dissect the algorithm for estimated quality score, you might use that estimate as a tool to make sure you are satisfying major criteria such as landing page relevance and achieving a healthy clickthrough rate.

Cassie