Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Keyword Planner

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi,

I am confused in keyword planner. I want to know that keyword planner shows searches for which match type of keywords. As i have read it shows exact match searches. But when i download keywords list with its search after selecting my relevant keywords, then it shows broad match type in keyword match type column in sheet. I am confused.
How can i get the phrase match type searches(impressions) and cpc for keywords?
I am fail to make PPC proposal for my client because on which bases i give him search volumes(impressions) and CPC?

1 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Ratan-Jha (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Keyword Planner

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Reenu,

If you are using Get search volume for a list of keywords or group them into ad groups, your data would be based on Exact Match. And if you are trying to get forecasts by using Get traffic forecasts for a list of keywords, the data would be based on Broad Match by default

While in the former, there's no way to change the keyword match type, in the latter you can change the match type according to your preference. 

More can be found here -  https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/3022575?hl=en

Thanks
Ratan Jha

About Me: Community Profile | Ratan Jha INC. | Splashsys Webtech
If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

You're welcome Kaushik. 

Reena, why don't you use "Get traffic forecasts for a list of keywords" from the Keyword Planner's main dashboard, I believe it should be the 3rd from the top in all available options. 

It should serve your purpose and you will also be able to get a forecast based on different match types. It will help you give an estimate to your client. 

Thanks
Ratan Jha

If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Reenu,

If you are using Get search volume for a list of keywords or group them into ad groups, your data would be based on Exact Match. And if you are trying to get forecasts by using Get traffic forecasts for a list of keywords, the data would be based on Broad Match by default

While in the former, there's no way to change the keyword match type, in the latter you can change the match type according to your preference. 

More can be found here -  https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/3022575?hl=en

Thanks
Ratan Jha

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

You can find keywords matching option in Keyword planner. You just need to click on pencil icon on right side ( see the image) the you can choose the matching option. Please see the image below -

Keyword match.png

You can follow this discussion - https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Performance-Optimization/how-to-get-exact-match-keywords-fro...

Thanks,

Kaushik

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Selecting keyword match type as shown in the image above will not affect the planner data like average monthly searches, competition, suggested bids etc. It will only change the forecasts for clicks and impressions.

Match types have effect on the planner data only when you are analysing forecasts.  When looking to get search volume and ad group ideas, match type is by default Exact, and no matter what you select, the data will remain the same. 

Thanks
Ratan Jha

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi, Kaushik & Ratan,
Kaushik, Ratan is saying right, I also tried that you told. Data not changed in any match type. searches, bids etc all of them remain same.
If searches and bids come same according to exact match than how could we take approx impressions and cpc for our proposals for client.
Please help me.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Ratan for the guidance Smiley Happy
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

You're welcome Kaushik. 

Reena, why don't you use "Get traffic forecasts for a list of keywords" from the Keyword Planner's main dashboard, I believe it should be the 3rd from the top in all available options. 

It should serve your purpose and you will also be able to get a forecast based on different match types. It will help you give an estimate to your client. 

Thanks
Ratan Jha

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Ok.. Thanks a lot Ratan... Smiley Happy