AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2K members online now
2K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Keyword Planner not matching up to campaign

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Last night I put together 300 keywords. Using the Keyword Planner I was able to project that for a $15.00 a day budget I would get approx 2,000 impressions and if I paid a max of $0.12 CPC, I would get on average 292 clicks a day. It showed on the right every keyword and most were 6-10 cents to be on the front page. 

The ad got approved and now when I go to the actual campaign and keywords tab, it shows that in the last 12 hours I've had ZERO impressions and ZERO clicks and it says under Status of each keyword "Below First Page Bid" and showing that most are $1.25 to $1.50...

Please advise. Why is the Keyword Planner so far off? and how can I better utilize this? What's the point of using the Google AdWords Keyword Planner with projections if it doesn't line up? 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Keyword Planner not matching up to campaign

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Matt,

I apologize for your frustration. The keyword planner is a very rough estimation to help people find new keywords and estimate the amount of traffic volume but it should be taken with a grain of salt. The auction depends very heavily on quality score, which the keyword planner is unable to take into account. It's very, very rare to find a keyword with a CPC of less than $1. As you gain history and improve CTR, you may see your CPCs begin to decrease but, to be honest, it's unlikely that they will be as low as $.12.

I hope this helps!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I just I just didn't expect that large of a difference.

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Matt,

I understand. I am a bit surprised that traffic estimates were given for a .12 bid. Can you tell us any more about the keywords and geography you are targeting?

Best,
Amy

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star
Hi Matt,

I understand & share your frustration. Although, after working on AdWords for more than 2 years now, I have learned that you cannot fully rely on the estimates that you see from the planner and that the actual numbers that you record are going to vary by a good margin.

I strongly suggest that you always use these numbers as a basis to understand your estimated spends but as a thumb rule use a bid higher than the one that is suggested if you wish to be certain that you receive good visibility & traction on AdWords.

Also, do keep in mind that you using higher bids than the suggested ones will lead to higher spends.

Hope this Helps!

Cheers!

Shashank
Cheers,
Shashank Singh, AdWords Rising Star |
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please hit "Like" or "Accept as Solution"