AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.5K members online now
4.5K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Keyword Planner issue: Discrepanices in no. of keyword ideas

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, I am working with a team and using keyword planner to check for various keywords that we can target for a particular industry.

Here is the issue: Using different sign-in accounts, the number of Keyword Ideas and the figure for Monthly Search Volume generated differs greatly.

Please see below, screenshot of keyword planner for 2 accounts. With all parameters set exactly the same, using the same chrome browser and using the same computer,

- Using Account A, number of keyword ideas is 593 and Monthly Search Volume for Aug 2015 is 4,960.

- Using Account B, number of keyword ideas is 258 and Monthly Search Volume for Aug 2015 is 3,660.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2oDNUUEXz6tbzNlWFZ2VG55MGc/view?usp=sharing

Clearly, results generated for keyword ideas and monthly search volume for both accounts are very different. Account B is missing out 335 keyword ideas. And the difference in number for monthly search volume is 1,300.

Shouldn't the results generated for both accounts be exactly the same?

For details, parameters entered are:

- Keyword: textile

- Language: English

- Search Engine: Google

- Negative Keywords: (left blank)

- Date Range: Show avg. monthly searches for: Last 12 months

- Keyword filters: (left untouched / blank)

- Keyword options: Only show ideas closely related to my search terms (Check ON)

- Keywords to include: (left blank)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2oDNUUEXz6tMDB5dGNaXzNrb1E/view?usp=sharing

Does anyone know why different accounts generate different number of keyword ideas and monthly search volume results? Aren't results supposed to be exactly the same even though we use different accounts? If there is a problem with our settings, how do we reset?

I would appreciate any thoughts on this.

Thanks & Regards

Lee Cheng

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Keyword Planner issue: Discrepanices in no. of keyword ideas

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello @Ler L;

The key here is that the data shown is based on the account past performances. The systems analyzes the past performance, and based on that suggests keywords, estimates clicks, etc..

To see the real data statistics,  use the option of "get search volume data" instead of "search for new keywords" (get ideas).

Using the first option I got the average volume of 390 per month in 2 different accounts.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Dear Moshe,

I have no issues getting the average volume of 390 per month in 2 different accounts.

The issue I have is getting the same number of keyword ideas for 2 different accounts. Please see screenshot from this link, I have highlighted the issues in red :

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2oDNUUEXz6tbzNlWFZ2VG55MGc/view?usp=sharing

Please let me know if you know what could be happening that is causing a discrepancy in the number of keywords using 2 different accounts?

If search results returned is based on Google's personalized search for individual account, how can I reset it back to default? I have tried to clear all my cookies but it does not seem to affect the results.

Thanks for any help,
Lee Cheng

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello again @Ler L;

The keywords suggested  are based on the account  / campaigns past performances, and are tailored specifically  per account. 

Only real data statistics is the same. All other estimates / suggestions / opportunities  are tailored per account.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Moshe. Is Average Monthly Searches on the graph bar considered real data statistics? The average monthly searches on the graph bar for both accounts is different.

Please see : https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2oDNUUEXz6tbzNlWFZ2VG55MGc/view?usp=sharing

With regards to the keywords suggestions, I understand that it could be tailored to specific account. If this is so, is there a way to turn off this tailoring?

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

@Ler L;

It is a real data, but of the suggested keywords, And  since the suggested keywords for  each account is different, (as explained)  hence the data on the bar is different.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Moshe, thanks for your explanation. I tested with 4 accounts. 2 accounts gets the same set of results. Another 2 accounts get another same set of results. I wonder what exactly does the system base on to tailor such results for different users.

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

@Ler L;

Google does not disclose the algorithm is uses to suggest opportunities and keywords to one user compared to another.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Noted. Thanks so much Moshe for your help. Smiley Happy