Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Keyword Planner: Importing With CSV

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I've been playing around with the new Keyword Planner and see there is an option to import data from a CSV containing information like CPC, budget, location, language, etc

Here is where I saw this info:

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2999770#UploadFile

No matter what I've tried so far, I cannot get anything to import other than keywords.  I even tried to import data from an Adwords Editor CSV file I found here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AuHDrmCX8MtydFdadzFHZVgzZXlpbW16Q283djZsRVE#gid=0

Even trying that file and a bunch of different possible formats still no luck.

Can someone provide a sample file formatted properly to import data successfully into the Keyword Planner?  It's driving me nuts :-)

Thanks!

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Keyword Planner: Importing With CSV

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Sorry to say that but it only accept Keywords, you can't upload Cpc & budget in it so you are getting its full functionality and you are doing it right already

Hope that helps
Maged Wassef
Adwords Guru and a Mini Genius I Follow @TopRankGuru
Please Star My reply If it helped you Smiley Very Happy

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the response.

If this is the case then Google has written a good bit if inaccurate documentation for the Keyword Planner.

Here is a snippet of what they state on the help pages:

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2999770#UploadFile

"Here are a few additional guidelines to keep in mind:

• Columns relevant to Keyword Planner will be imported, while columns that Keyword Planner doesn't recognize won't be imported. For example, Keyword Planner can recognize an "Ad group" column with the name of your ad group and a "Keyword" column with the ad group's corresponding keywords. Here's a list of all the columns that Keyword Planner recognizes:
    • "Ad group"
    • "Budget"
    • "Campaign"
    • "Keyword"
    • "Language targeting"
    • "Location ID"
    • "Max CPC"
    • "Networks"
    • Criterion type

Perhaps they have not yet enabled this functionality but it clearly states Keyword Planner supports it.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
I think that is maybe for the tool to only recognize which column is the keywords but I am not sure but tried this before and only keywords gets imported
Maged Wassef
Adwords Guru and a Mini Genius I Follow @TopRankGuru
Please Star My reply If it helped you Smiley Very Happy

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Maybe so.

But this sentence really implies multiple columns of data can be imported:

"Columns relevant to Keyword Planner will be imported, while columns that Keyword Planner doesn't recognize won't be imported"

It also makes it sound like you can have any column name like "winnie the pooh" and they will just be ignored if it isn't one that is supported.

Maybe someone else will chime in.  It's still a brand new tool and probably not too many using it yet.

Thanks for taking the time to offer your help!

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star

This may sound simplistic, but are you being certain to use the quotation marks " " around the names of each column header?  In general, I find that's the step people overlook.

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey Theresa,

Thanks for the input.

That was actually the last thing I tried before posting here.  It was one of those "light bulb" moments that I thought for sure was the missing ingredient but no luck unfortunately.

Thanks again for taking the time to help out!

Rising Star
# 8
Rising Star

Sorry - don't use that tool myself and that was my only idea. Smiley Happy

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

2 years later and the same problem exists. Now that the keyword tool allows you to set a different bid per adgroup or keyword, it's much more useful than before!!! Too bad I can't figure out how to upload a two column csv (adgroup and keyword) without it creating one adgroup per keyword. Google is usually pretty good about uploading files but this seems to be broken.

Community Manager
# 10
Community Manager
This 2013 thread has been closed to new replies.

If anyone has a new or unanswered question related to this topic, please start a new thread with a descriptive subject line, and post a clear, specific and detailed question or comment.

This will help other forum members to both see and understand your question fully, and answer it in a useful and effective way.

Thanks!