AdWords
3.8K members online now
3.8K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Keyword Planner - How to get Broad Match search volumes?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I've been playing with the new Keyword Planner, and I understand the new default is to provide exact match search volumes across all devices.

Does anyone know of a way to pull search volumes for keywords set to broad match? I've tried uploading in broad match format, but it returns the same volumes as for exact match.

Thanks!

Re: Keyword Planner - How to get Broad Match search volumes?

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni
Hi AllieWill,

When you are on the planner you can see the small pencil symbol on the top right when viewing the adgroup or keyword ideas. If you click that you will be able to change the match type of your keywords and get the data you are after.

Let me know if this fixes it up for you.

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

For me the pencil button only switches the match type in which keyword are added to the account, if you are reffering to this one :

pencil-button.png

When I needed to see data for other match types I used the "Review estimates" button, but as I received an explanation here in the forum from a Googler, it shows more like a simulation based on the daily budget and it is best used with 1 keyword. This is my experience with match types and the keyword planner :

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Set-up-and-basics/Adwords-Keyword-Planner-Match-Types/m-p/19...

I hope you find it useful.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Adrian,

I figured out another way to estimate broad match search volume through the "Get estimates" button.

Here's how I do it:

1. Enter your list of keywords, choose "Get estimates"

2. Select segment by "Keyword", enter a very high estimated bid and budget: say $100 bid; $20K daily budget

3. Choose 'Edit Match Types' > 'All Ad Groups' > 'Broad match'

The results will show anticipated daily clicks and impressions for your keywords, roughly estimating if you were in ad position #1. If you take the impressions data and multiply it by 30, you can estimate monthly search volume for broad match.

You can also switch the match type to 'Exact match' - and multiply impressions by 30 to get estimated exact match search volume.

I've found that the exact match estimations are pretty close to the exact match figures provided when you use Keyword Planner and choose 'Get search volume" in step 1.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes, but it is best to use only one keyword in the "Review estimates" simulation , because otherwise if you try to sort the clicks column ascending or descending , the total does not remain the same although it should, anyway there are very small variations when using few keywords and larger variations when using hundreds of keywords.

sort1-keyword-planner.png

sort2-keyword-planner.png

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
It depends on how you intend to use the information. I'm primarily using it for organic keyword research.

While there are slight discrepancies (less than .03% in the example) between the clicks and impressions based on how they are sorted, the data shows a good approximation for how many impressions a given keyword receives relative to other related keywords.

For example, looking at "cars" and "suv", I see that "cars" gets almost 4X the number of impressions as "suv". That's interesting. I'd take these counts and do further analysis to evaluate other factors (competitiveness of term, relevance to my products, etc.) to help me decide what terms to use on my site's tags and in on-page elements.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes the keyword planner is very useful, I compare its data with the recent  results from the Google Trends to try to anticipate time frames when the search volume is doubled for some search terms. I also like the estimates for individual cities , it helps budgeting when a campaign is targeted on selected locations.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

And here is the variation between using 1 keyword and 5 keywords,same bid, same daily budget, for clicks it is 1300 , meaning around 15 % for this particular case, it is just a computer simulation, in the real life data will be different :

simulation-1-keyword.png

simulation-5-keywords.png

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
It's actually not just the default, but your only option. Google no longer provides broad or phrase match traffic estimates even if you input your keywords in those match types. It's really frustrating that Gooogle no longer supplies broad match data, but unfortunately there's nothing that can be done about it. The best work around I've found is to glean broad/phrase match data from Bing Ads Intelligence and normalize the data for Google based on what you know to be true about Adwords traffic.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Moral of the Story is there is no way to get good idea of Broad Search Volume.