2.1K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Keyword Planner: Avg Monthly Searches: Bar graph & text listing differ

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am new to Adwords. When researching using the Keywords Planner, search for new keywords and ad group ideas, I am getting a discrepancy between the main bar graph Average Monthly Searches and the Average Monthly Searches displayed below with the text listing of the keyword. For example, I enter the keyword "cars" and in the bar graph it shows Average Monthly Searches to be upwards of 60-70K, but below under the Keyword Ideas tab, "cars" lists as having only 6,000 or so Average Monthly Searches. Forgive my noob ignorance, but I haven't been able to find any information regarding this discrepancy. Can anyone tell me what I'm missing?

(Also, this is unrelated, but on another thread it was said that the Keyword Planner is only for Paid SEM keywords and another keyword tool should be used for SEO. Why is this? Isn't a keyword a keyword? Doesn't the Keyword Planner show the number of Google searches for those keywords? Why wouldn't this work for SEO?)

Thank you for your help.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author John J A
September 2015

Re: Keyword Planner: Avg Monthly Searches: Bar graph & text listin

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Meg and Pankaj! Meg, your insights seem to have answered my question. The main top bar graph doesn't change whether you're on the Ad Groups tab or the Keyword tab, so I gather that the main top bar graph shows the total volume for all ad groups, and the individually-listed keywords show volumes exclusively for that particular phrase, sans additional modifiers/words. It would be nice if specific stuff like this was explicitly explained within the module itself, or at least in the aforementioned support articles, which it is not. Thanks again peeps!

View solution in original post

Warning: AdWords interface instructions or screenshots in this thread may be out of date as we move to the new AdWords experience.

LEARN MORE

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi John,

While using keyword planner, there are lot of options which can be selected and based on your custom settings, the results for various terms or key phrases will be displayed and might vary.

I am not sure if you have done some filteration or what regional settings you have implemented, but the fact is you will get the data based on what you have chosen. Also note that these are all approximate figures which vary from time to time depending upon many external factors like seasonal trends etc...

I would suggest you to first read this help center article to understand how Keyword planner works and how you should use it: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2999770?hl=en&ref_topic=3175091

Also read this article where it is explained clearly how statistics and traffic estimates are calculated: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/3022575?ctx=tltp

This tool is basically to get an idea of how you can further improve your account by adding or deleting keywords in your Paid AdWords account.

But in my opinion, there isn't any harm if you want to get an idea of organic keywords for your SEO campaign. This is basically a tool and gives you approximate values for various important keywords. Otherwise you might consider some paid 3rd party tool for those searches or post this over Webmasters forum for more insights: https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!forum/webmasters

My thoughts!

Pankaj

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi John,

If you were doing a keyword search using the the word cars, the bar graph that you see when you're looking at the ad group ideas tab is showing search volume for ALL the keywords in all the ad groups that Google's recommending. So it's not just the searches for cars, but also used cars, cars online, cars for sale, etc... The search volume for specific words would be found on the keyword ideas tab (or when you're looking at specific keywords inside an ad group on the ad group ideas tab). Hope that helps!

As for your side question, I agree with Pankaj. I know of SEO agencies that use the Keyword Planner for their keyword research and my understanding is that it's considered to be a fundamental tool throughout that industry. For what it's worth, my own experience with paid tools haven't been that great--a lot of them seem to be getting their data from Google and are just repackaging it in a different interface. There may be tools out there that give you significantly more than what you get for free in the Keyword Planner, but if you're thinking of going that route I'd vet tools you're considering pretty carefully.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author John J A
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Meg and Pankaj! Meg, your insights seem to have answered my question. The main top bar graph doesn't change whether you're on the Ad Groups tab or the Keyword tab, so I gather that the main top bar graph shows the total volume for all ad groups, and the individually-listed keywords show volumes exclusively for that particular phrase, sans additional modifiers/words. It would be nice if specific stuff like this was explicitly explained within the module itself, or at least in the aforementioned support articles, which it is not. Thanks again peeps!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi John,

Regarding your second question: yes, Keyword Planner is a tool for PPC campaigns, and the numbers marked as "search volume" are in fact the avg. number of impressions your ad can get while using this specific keyword. You can get more info about the differences between old Adwords Keyword Tool and actual Keyword Planner here. For SEO purposes I'd recommend using Semrush.com or Searchmetrics.com, for example.

KK

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for asking this...it was confusing me too.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
It would be nice...

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for the answer, I was confused by this too!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I was having right the same question. Thanks for asking.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
It was confusing me too. Thanks for asking.