AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2K members online now
2K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Keyword Match Types..

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi

I have an ad running with the Keywords "PowerPivot Training".  I accidentally discovered that the ad is presenting when people search for "PowerPivot" with no other search terms.  I have no interest in presenting an ad in such an occasion.  How do I stop this so my ad only presents when ALL of my keywords are present in the search term?

Thanks

Matt

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Matt A
September 2015

Re: Keyword Match Types..

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Matt,

Which match type are you using? If you use phrase, exact, or modified broad (+PowerPivot +Training) you should only show when both terms are present. If you are using broad, or if you are using modified broad but don't have the plus sign in front of "training" then either term could show.

You can also add [PowerPivot] as an exact match negative to ensure that your ad doesn't show for solely that term, without the other.

Here's a bit more information on match type if you are interested: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2497836?hl=en

The key is that Exact match must match your keyword exactly, in that order, with all of your terms an nothing more. Phrase match must contain your keywords, in that order, with all of your terms but it can include additional keywords. Modified broad allows you to determine which keywords have to be present by placing a plus sign in front of them. If you use modified broad but don't put a plus sign in front of a term then it is considered optional. If you use broad match then your keyword can match to synonyms or it can partially match to a query (in any order) and your ad will show.

I hope this helps! Good luck!

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Matt A
September 2015

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Matt,

Which match type are you using? If you use phrase, exact, or modified broad (+PowerPivot +Training) you should only show when both terms are present. If you are using broad, or if you are using modified broad but don't have the plus sign in front of "training" then either term could show.

You can also add [PowerPivot] as an exact match negative to ensure that your ad doesn't show for solely that term, without the other.

Here's a bit more information on match type if you are interested: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2497836?hl=en

The key is that Exact match must match your keyword exactly, in that order, with all of your terms an nothing more. Phrase match must contain your keywords, in that order, with all of your terms but it can include additional keywords. Modified broad allows you to determine which keywords have to be present by placing a plus sign in front of them. If you use modified broad but don't put a plus sign in front of a term then it is considered optional. If you use broad match then your keyword can match to synonyms or it can partially match to a query (in any order) and your ad will show.

I hope this helps! Good luck!

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hello Matt,

You can add those terms into negative keywords to stop showing your Ads. Like as you said your ad is showing when people search for PowerPivot and you dont want to, so add [powerpivot] as negative keyword.

Also are you sure you are using Phrase match in your Keyword "Powerpivot training"? (keyword with "") your ad will show on search term Powerpivot only when you added keyword powerpivot training as broad match. so i advise you to cross check the match type you are using.

hope this helps!

Rahul Goel

Community Manager
# 4
Community Manager
Excellent advice from Amy and Rahul. Thank you both for helping Matt.

Matt, hope that helped resolve your issue. If not please feel free to reply here.

Best,
Mini

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks to all - yes very good advice.  Frankly the biggest issue is that the Match Type filed apparently is not a default field on the default setup page.  I wasn't even aware it existed until these replies.  I find this strange given the importance of this concept.

Anyway, all good - thanks.