AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.3K members online now
4.3K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Keyword Match Types: The What and Why

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey, guy and girls...

My name is Daniel and I have a question related to keyword match. In my agency, we're working with the 3 matches in our campaigns and that way we get excellent results, but in our last campaign, our keywords are not triggering ads. According to Google the problem is the low number of word search. However, our quality score is 10/10, still unable to appear.

It made us think of some questions: add keywords in phrase and exact matches with all possible terms is a valid strategy? Or are we striving for excellence in a situation that will make no difference? We continue using all keywords matches in our campaigns?

PS.: Use your keywords in phrase match in separate groups with keywords exact corresponding item.

Thanks!

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Keyword Match Types: The What and Why

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Daniel and welcome to the forum!

I'll happily admit I'm a bit of a keyword miser... I always tend to lean towards fewer rather than more and have found with experience that usually the vast majority of clicks can be "captured" with really very few - well chosen - keywords.  It's not just me either, Google's own advice is to keep your keyword lists on the shorter side - perhaps as few as 10-20...

I see a LOT of people on this board who feel the need to try and capture every single possible search term that might be remotely related to their product, even if it is only used once a year.  They do this even when they get 10,000 clicks a day from another 10 keywords...  It is a LOT easier to concentrate on a smaller selection of keywords that perform well, for which you can tightly focus the ad copy/design and for which you can easily track the performance/ROI than it is to try and run an almost endless list of words, most of which attract no business at all.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Well, Cobnut

I gree with you tell me, but do you gree with me what when we uses the specific keyword, we optimize campaigns to avoid unwanted clicks? If we only use 10 or 20 keywords, we'll be giving rise to irrelevant traffic and thus lose money from the customer.

Here we are thinking of the agency creating campaigns with keywords with a high number of research and then, in the analysis, we will add new words. What do you think about it.

Thanks for the welcome

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Daniel, this is very difficult to answer without more detail about your campaigns/product but in general it's all about careful chosing of the keywords and their match type.  The 10 or 20 keywords you chose don't have to include irrelevant traffic if they're carefully chosen, with the right match type, and accompanied by the right campaign settings for time, location, demographic, etc.  This is, essentially, what an Adwords manager is paid for.

I know that some accounts do require a long keyword list - and yours may well be one - but in my opinion the majority don't, yet the majority of managers seem to seek these long lists.

As I said, it's very hard to give more focused advice without knowing more about the business being promoted...

Jon

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Really, without a bigger analisys is more hard to say anything. But I agree with u, including I talk this with my boss and he say that. I believe what the best to make is test and test and test.

Thank you so much. Your opioin was very important to me.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Any time Daniel.  Do please come back to the forum and become a regular here, we'll welcome your questions and insights.

Jon

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank u, Jon

I really wanna back more times. Was a very cool experience. U help me so much. If u need exchange ideias, I'm here! 

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

I agree with Cobnut on the whole

In my experience most clients budgets can be used up with the very core keywords - as you say 10-20... so why go looking for the elusive long tail keywords we read about all the time?

Yes, it might cost a few pennies to get that visitor, but one or two a year isn't going to make a difference in the grand scheme of things. I'd rather concentrate the budget where it's working and put my effort into reducing the costs and improving the conversion rates for these clients....

And there's a bit of a false logic going on here... so you move away from your core to try and find cheaper keywords that are more loosely related to your business... but as you move away from YOUR core you start to move into SOMEONE ELSE's core - and so then instead of competing with your direct competitiors, you are now competing for keywords you're not really that interested in, with someone who actually concentrates on this market.... Seems silly somehow...