1.9K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Keyword Close Variations

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm revising my campaings and want to take more advantage of the Broad Match Modifier.  All the help I read states that it will include "close variations" of my keywords, but not synonyms.  In order to minimize the number of variations I put into my keyword list, I'd like to find out if Google already considers my variation the same as their "close variation".  For example, if I put "+build +carwash" as my keyword, is that the same as "+building +car +wash"?

I looked at Google's keyword tool, but that doesn't seem to have an option to list their close variations.  Does anyone know where I can find Google's definition of "close variations" for a specific keyword?

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Keyword Close Variations

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi HWGuthrie; welcome;

This is a nice question;

Google does not reveal the list of "close variations". You pretty much need to guess, ...Smiley Surprised

This is the major reason  I  hardly use  "broad match". You never quite know (in real time)  when  a "variant according to Google"  triggers your ad...(Unless you constantly  run   a "search query report").  Sometimes those variants are far away - in their meaning -   from your original intent.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello,

I am with Moshe on that. There is no defined list of keyword variations as close variants are concerned.

A small point of addition I would like to make over here is that with latest update of exact and phrase match type keywords, your ads will get delivered on close variants of these 2 match types as well, which was not the case in the past. It's an optional setting (advanced settings >>keyword matching options) which is turned on by default and advertisers can change that if that's not in their favour.

Just a thought!

Pankaj

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi HWGuthrie,

In general, Google search and AdWords ignore spaces between words. I would say "+building +car +wash" is a close variation of "+build +carwash". That said, I would probably use both keywords anyway.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Sq
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Sq
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Take Pankaj's advice. The new update does the close variants anyway so no point using broad modifier unless you have a large budget

HWGuthrie wrote:

I'm revising my campaings and want to take more advantage of the Broad Match Modifier.  All the help I read states that it will include "close variations" of my keywords, but not synonyms.  In order to minimize the number of variations I put into my keyword list, I'd like to find out if Google already considers my variation the same as their "close variation".  For example, if I put "+build +carwash" as my keyword, is that the same as "+building +car +wash"?

I looked at Google's keyword tool, but that doesn't seem to have an option to list their close variations.  Does anyone know where I can find Google's definition of "close variations" for a specific keyword?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

hey

could you provide a link to where it says that it uses "close variations" but "not synonyms"? wish google would just release a "close match" tool or something!

thanks

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

@jefflyall94

Here you are:

http://www.google.com/ads/innovations/bmm.html

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

great thank you Smiley Happy