5.8K members online now
5.8K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

KeyWords - What to do with keywords that don't perform well?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello, 

Some of my keywords are performing really well and bringing in high impressions and clicks. However, some of my keywords are not achieving any impressions or clicks. What would you recommend doing with these keywords? 

Do I keep the keywords live, or would this affect my quality score? 

Many thanks in advance. 

Lucy 

2 Expert replyverified_user
Highlighted

Re: KeyWords - What to do with keywords that don't perform well?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Lucy D what goals do you have for your advertising?  What is your objective?  Clicks and impressions are really meaningless for a Campaign unless you're primarily focused simply on a branding exercise either to increase awareness or traffic.  If you're looking to increase actions on your site (sales, leads, sign-ups, etc.) then what's important is how these Keywords perform in terms of those actions, not (just) their clicks and impressions.

If your objective is just for traffic, with no other goal, then these Keywords probably aren't harming your Campaign in any way, though if they have very low Quality Scores and they're not contributing much, they're not really adding anything either.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Jon, 

Many thanks for your reply. 

The objective is to get more leads, however, we have seen only one lead come in since going live 3 weeks ago. 

Kind regards 

Lucy 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

How well is it performing, then, if you've only gotten one lead? Is this display or search?

For reference, I have some really good display campaigns where some keywords have incredible cost/conv but others do not. I don't remove the low performing keywords b/c AdWords creates a "theme" around the keyword list.

So instead, I bid higher just on the high performing keywords and - usually - my cost/conv for the adgroup drops.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

So... I would worry more about the keywords that have a lot of clicks and no conversions or a lot of impressions and no clicks.  Those should be paused. 

The other ones that aren't really doing anything aren't an issue.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Christopher, 

We are doing a Search only campaign, with the bid strategy type of maximise clicks. I would use 'maximise conversions' however,  we have not linked our account to the google analytics account due to us being the agency.  

We are receiving an average CTR of 3.95% so are happy that people are going to the site, however they are not filling in the lead generation form we would like them to complete. We have noticed that the form is below the page fold, could this be an issue? 

What would you advise to do next? 

Many thanks in advance. 

Lucy 

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Definitely try to get the form above the fold. 

Also, even if you are the agency, you should be able to link Adwords to Analytics.

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thank you for the advice. 

If we link our AdWords account to their GA account, will they be able to see all our campaigns in their analytics? - this is what we thought would be the case hence why we haven't linked them. 

Another factor why we cant be linked, is because they will not give us the full permissions to their GA - I can see Paid For coming through on GA - but I can't get the adwords to receive lead data etc, which is why I can't optimise the bids to conversions. 

Experts in the Topic
Shanee_Kirk
Jon_Gritton