2.9K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Key Words & Locations

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm running a campaign for a Painting contractor in NYC. I'm curious what are the best practices for key words & locations, since i only want to target local searches. If i target a specific location, do i still need to include the location in the key words? Or is this redundant? For instance what is better:

"Painting Services" as the key words & Location as: New York City

or

"Painting Services NYC" and location set as all of U.S. 

Or both? Or something different?

Any help is appreciated

Thanks,

J

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Key Words & Locations

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi J,

In the old days if included a keyword such as "Painting Services New York City" then anyone outside the geographical target area would still be able to see that ad as they are confirming they are interested in the local service / product there. These days you have the ability to change these settings to the following:

Screenshot 2013-10-04 at 14.50.29.png

So you basically need to decide which will be best for the company. Someone might be out of town for example but looking for painting services in NYC when they return home, having the ad show to them will therefore be beneficial and relevant.

ScottyD, AdWords Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Key Words & Locations

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi J,

In the old days if included a keyword such as "Painting Services New York City" then anyone outside the geographical target area would still be able to see that ad as they are confirming they are interested in the local service / product there. These days you have the ability to change these settings to the following:

Screenshot 2013-10-04 at 14.50.29.png

So you basically need to decide which will be best for the company. Someone might be out of town for example but looking for painting services in NYC when they return home, having the ad show to them will therefore be beneficial and relevant.

ScottyD, AdWords Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.