AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.7K members online now
2.7K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Kewords/phrase click report by time and day

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

As a adwords client I have a very basic question:

Fact:  We got charged for clicks based on keywords/phrases we choose to use

Question

Why do we not have a transparent report showing us EACH click as it's correlated to EACH Keyword/Phrase/ and type of match (broad, exact, phrase. etc), followed by the exact time and date this was charged for??

I mean we pay for each and every one of these so called "clicks" why is google not transparent enough to itemize exactly what they are charging us for???

Reason for my question is I ran a test sample:

1. I ONLY used Paid search (Google only) to drive traffic to a site I built.

2. I attached google analytics to the site to count users

3. I compared user sessions vs. chargeable clicks from Google for a 10 day period 

4. I only targeted U.S and UK regions and SPECIFICALLY EXCLUDED INDIA as a country to be targeted 

Results.

1. Google Adwords charged me for an avg of 100 clicks a day or 1017 clicks for the 10 days

2. Google Analytics showed only 71-76 User sessions (total- unique AND returning) on a daily basis or 743 for the 10 day period.

3.  I would get 4-6 users from INDIA on a daily basis (results from GEO in analytics- when tracing the user origin- yes you guessed it- they were from paid search).

Discrepancies:

1. where did the 29-24 daily clicks end up if not to my site?  a very high standard for error and never an overage but always an underage

2. why did we keep getting clicks from India when specifically excluding that region in settings

3. Google owns BOTH adwords and Analytics how are the discrepancies so transparent??

I know Google employs very smart people and has very complicated "algorithms"  I am not one of those people and i do not understand complicated algorithms.  So please explain this to me like a 6 year old.. as I am sure a 6 year old would also question the discrepancies listed above. 

2 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

If you have excluded India, but are getting clicks from there, most likely you need to change a default campaign setting:

Location options (advanced)

Change
Target People in, searching for, or who show interest in my targeted location
To
Target People in my targeted location

Regarding the discrepancies, aside from any considerations of click fraud, Google can charge for up to 2 clicks per user. So if someone clicks on a sitelink and the headline of your ad you will be charged for 2 clicks, and it will show up as 1 visitor in Analytics.

There are a lot of discrepancies between Analytics and AdWords because they measure different things. It does make it difficult for many people to understand.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

As mentioned, AdWords and Analytics have not  have a harmonized reporting system, hence the discrepancies. You should choose which platform you use for reporting and stick with it. Otherwise confusion happens...

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’