AdWords
5.4K members online now
5.4K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Just getting started. Can I do a keyword campaign without a Product Listing Ad?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Does a Product Listing Ad always go together with a keyword campaign? Or can I just do a keyword campaign without the ad? Thanks.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Just getting started. Can I do a keyword campaign without a Product Listing Ad?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi iguimera, and welcome to the forum.

I'm not entirely sure I've understood your question but if you're asking if it's possible to run Ads based upon Keywords rather than a Product list then yes, of course, this is probably the most common way to use Adwords.

Are you looking to create the sort of "plain text" Ads you see on the top and right of Google's search results?

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Re: Just getting started. Can I do a keyword campaign without a Product Listing Ad?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I guess my question is, do I need to make an ad at all to go with my keyword campaign? 

Thanks!

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi iguimera, well... if you're going to be using Keywords to advertise, you've got to show a searcher something for them to click upon.  The most common way of using Adwords is to display an Ad that you create.  You'll have seen these on the right-hand-side of Google's search results (or sometimes at the top of the page).  You may also have seen them on websites you've visited.  You can use simple text Ads, or images, or even animations or videos.

Don't panic too much about creating Ads; although it's important to create good Ads, they are fairly simple to write as long as you follow the rules.  Have a read through the information here.

Tips for Creating Successful Text Ads

Jon

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks so much, Jon. Now I understand how they work together. I just wasn't getting it before.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

No problem iguimera, please come back with any further questions you may have.

Jon

Ita Google Employee
Google Employee
# 7
Ita Google Employee
Google Employee

Hi Iguimera,

Yes you can have a search campaign without a product listing ad. I would recommend you set up a search campaign with a normal text ad to begin and get comfortable with adwords first. 

If you have an online shop where you sell products online and you use google shopping (merchant centre) then you can also use product listing ads. This is the only scenario in which you use product listing ads and unless you meet those conditions you can avoid the prodcut listin ad option and proceed with normal text ads. 

Happy advertising!