AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Is there any way to determine a Placement Bid??

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi all,

I'm kind of puzzeled on this one and I'm hoping some one can help.

I have found a particular website that I would like to have my ads displayed on.

1.I have determined that it's elegible on the Display Network.

2.I have DISPLAY Ads that closely match the website.

3.I have keywords that closely match website and my Display Ads.

4.I have Increase the bid several times but my ad still doesn't show on the targeted website.

Is there any way to determine what the bid should be for a targeted website for my ads to show??

Any suggestions, thoughts etc are appreciated.

Thanks!

RPquest

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by rashu (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: Is there any way to determine a Placement Bid??

Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner

When I find a single placement that I know, or even think might be profitable, I would create an adgroup for only that placement, and include no other targeting options other than the placement. Even if you are using broad reach, if there are no KW's, topics, interest categories, remarketing targeting options available, you should only accrue impressions on that placement. If it's the only targeting option to show ads in the adgroup.

For a specific example:

If there are just a few pages on a placement that produce sustainable revenue for a client. I will create an adgroup with only those few pages as managed placements, and only manged placement targeting for the adgroup. Even in a campaign set to broad reach, the only impressions accrued for the adgroup are on those placements/pages alone. I may bid 100% of the daily campaign budget for my max CPC, but the actual CPC costs are never that high (no guarantee, but always possible).

If you do have KW's in the adgroup, and the campaign is set to broad reach, then you could "hurt" yourself by accruing impressions and costs from ads targeted to those KW's, not on the placement you are trying to focus on. Which makes figuring out what bid you need to show an ad on that specific placement more difficult.

Isolate the placement, eliminate as many variables as you can other than bid. Then keep experimenting until you find a bid that will allow impressions to accrue. Once you identify the bid variable, then you can add more variables like KW's, and then you'll be able to know if adding KW's, and refining the reach helps or hurts the performance. 

Tom

View solution in original post

Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner

Hmm...

I don't know of any equivilent top of page bid etc., tools for display placements. Have you gone so far as to set your bid to your daily budget, just to see how high you have to bid to get any impressions on that placement? It doesn't mean you will pay that much per click of course, but some placements can be very competitive. Especially if there is a limited amount of ad space, and a high converting audinence.

If the placement generates referral revenue already, maybe it is worth it to invest a little in determining whether or not you can earn even more revenue by advertising on that placement. If not, then perhaps that placement is not profitable enough to justify the bids, and costs neccessary to show an ad.

Tom

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Tom,

I actually stumbled upon the site so I haven't had any revenue (or ads showing yet) for this particular targeted website.

Although I raised my bid several times, I have yet to raise it to my daily budget. I may try to continue to raise my bid only because I believe that the website "could be" profitable if I can get in at a reasonable bid.

What are your thoughts about dropping keywords all together and seeing if that helps??  Do you think that having the keywords hurt or help the potential cost of Dislay ads showing?

Thanks for your reply & suggestions.

RPquest

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by rashu (Google Employee)
September 2015

Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner

When I find a single placement that I know, or even think might be profitable, I would create an adgroup for only that placement, and include no other targeting options other than the placement. Even if you are using broad reach, if there are no KW's, topics, interest categories, remarketing targeting options available, you should only accrue impressions on that placement. If it's the only targeting option to show ads in the adgroup.

For a specific example:

If there are just a few pages on a placement that produce sustainable revenue for a client. I will create an adgroup with only those few pages as managed placements, and only manged placement targeting for the adgroup. Even in a campaign set to broad reach, the only impressions accrued for the adgroup are on those placements/pages alone. I may bid 100% of the daily campaign budget for my max CPC, but the actual CPC costs are never that high (no guarantee, but always possible).

If you do have KW's in the adgroup, and the campaign is set to broad reach, then you could "hurt" yourself by accruing impressions and costs from ads targeted to those KW's, not on the placement you are trying to focus on. Which makes figuring out what bid you need to show an ad on that specific placement more difficult.

Isolate the placement, eliminate as many variables as you can other than bid. Then keep experimenting until you find a bid that will allow impressions to accrue. Once you identify the bid variable, then you can add more variables like KW's, and then you'll be able to know if adding KW's, and refining the reach helps or hurts the performance. 

Tom

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Tom,

Thanks Again for your insite.

I have already created an adgroup with managed placement (just pages of the one website) along with keywords (specific reach).

I was originally tempted to create the adgroup with just the one targeted placement with no keywords as you're suggesting but I thought targeting with keywords too "might" help. Of course I also thought I'd have an ad show by now Smiley Surprised)

I'll create another adgroup with just the placement as you're suggesting and I'll see what happens.

Thanks Again for all of your help as it's greatly appreciated.

RPquest