AdWords
2.7K members online now
2.7K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Is there a way to set up automatic bids for each keyword separately?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I used manual bidding most of the times for my adwords campaigns, but recently I encountered client with 4000+ keywords. I tried automatic bidding to save my time, but it does work in weird way.

It sets automatic price for every keywords in WHOLE campaign to the same price. So normally, there is usually few hundred keywords in campaign, some of them expensive, some of them cheap. But when I turn the automatic bidding on, it takes the most expensive keyword and sets all the keywords in campaign to that price. As a result, almost all of the keywords are ridiculously overpriced with average position of 1,0 or 1,1.

Is there a way to set up automatic bids so that it calculates them for each keyword separately?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Is there a way to set up automatic bids for each keyword separatel

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Colp,

Yes, you can do this in two ways.

1. Use flexible bid strategies- https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2979071
2. Automated Rules -https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2472779?hl=en

Go through the above links to know how to set up automatic bidding. In both ways you can set up automatic bidding strategies at keywords level individually.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you for your answer. I already tried to create flexible strategy (maximize clicks) few days ago and apply it on all ad groups in campaign but the automated bids of all groups with this strategy were same. Is there anything I did wrong?

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
I think you are apply for at Ad group level. As you said you want to apply automatic bidding for specific keywords. Apply flexible bidding strategy at keyword level.
Click on All Campaigns and then keywords tab.
Select the keywords that you want to automate then click bidding strategy and select the flexible bidding strategy option. This will automate bidding for only selected keywords.

You can create multiple flexible bidding strategies and apply them for each Campaign or adgroup or keyword separately.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I am not sure, if you dont understand me or if I dont understand you Smiley Happy

I want to set automatic bidding for ALL keywords, but I want google to calculate Max CPC for every keyword separately = every keyword has different automatic price. Is this possible?

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Colp,

This is not possible.

Google works according to its own strategy. So we can not combine our strategy.If we are setting the automatic bids then gives the freedom to Google to adjust the bids based on competitions, quality score, search terms, location and device etc.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
One approach would be to export your reports and then in Excel segment - as a start - into groups of keywords based - if you want - on price.

Then simply duplicate your campaigns and add the keywords from each grouping. This way you could bid by price range.

However, it would make more sense to split your keywords into themed groups based on meaning rather than just by price... 4,000 keywords is going to need some segmentation.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
The thing is, that it is not deciding based on quality score, search terms, etc. when in campaign:
-all 700 keywords in 20 ad groups have same price set by google. Those are completely different keywords. (those 700 keywords have each different quality score, but google puts them on same price).
-Is this intended behavior?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you for your answer, I was also thinking about this approach. But the problem is, that after some period, I would need to resegment again since the price change Smiley Happy

Luckily, I tried 'Target search location' flexible strategy and it seems to work for each kw separately. At least few first hours Smiley Happy

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 10
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Colp,

I'm a little late to the party, sorry! Glad to hear that you found a flexible strategy that works! If for some reason you don't wind up liking it, you might like using automated rules.

You can't set up one rule per keyword (you can have max 100 per account for each user) and I definitely wouldn't recommend having 700 rules. I wouldn't even recommend having nearly 100.

Automated rules allow you to set certain parameters for when you would like to make bid adjustments. You can set rules based upon performance, position, and more. You can set rules to increase or decrease bids and you can also select the frequency at which you would like the rule to run.

Automated rules definitely don't completely substitute for hands on management but if you don't have a lot of time, they can help carry some of the analysis/optimization weight. 

Hope this helps!
Amy Bishop, Clix Marketing