AdWords
2.5K members online now
2.5K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Is there a perfect number of ads to run at a given time?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am taking over my company's AdWords account and am trying to figure out if we have too many, too few, or a good amount of ads. I don't see a point in have a ton of ads, but trying to convince my higher-ups that possibly deleting some ads might be a good idea. How many ads is enough?

2 Expert replyverified_user
3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author eMap I
September 2015

Re: Is there a perfect number of ads to run at a given time?

Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner
eMap,

The objective of your ads is to induce the click through and be the 2nd step in your adwords funnel towards a conversion, ( keywords would be step 1).

Is there a proper amount of Ads? There is not correct answer here, but the process does start with your ad rotation schedule, Are you optimizing for clicks, rotating evenly or rotating for 90 days and then optimize.

Are you also using Mobile versions of ads?

With adwords being a continual process of analyzing your data, TESTING, and making optimization tweaks to ensure a positive ROI and ROAS, then working a split test of your ads is a favorable situation.

I usually start out with about 3 ads per ad group with an additional 2 ads marked as Mobile versions, Then the testing begins, After a certain period of time, or number of impressions, I will determine the winners and the losers based both on CTR and Conversions. The losers are paused, and a new ad(s) are created to replace the losers ( in the ongoing testing model).

Over a longer period of time with enough accumulated data you may find that there is a Golden Ad that always works and lead to your best performance, CTR, Conversions and ROI. When you find that you can stick to it, or you can continue to test variations.

The objective is to define and determine your TESTING criteria in which you can objectively analyze the data and let the data determine what is working and what is not.

So in a statistical testing or measuring environment, if you had 20 ad in one adgroup, would that make for a good testing environment? If you have 3-5 would that make for a good testing environment? It all comes down to your methods, your account setup, your testing parameters.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star

Hi eMap,

Eric has given you some great advice here, do take it under consideration when making your choice on the number of ads and the strategy you adopt. I would just like to add something here.

In my experience, it is always a good idea and something that I follow as a best practice to keep a maximum of 2 - 3 ad copies in an adgroup. What this allows me to do is a A/B test sorts between a couple or more ad messaging. I can keep the ad rotation settings to Rotate Evenly or even Rotate Indefinitely so that I can manually check the performance of each ad messaging and then optimize the same.

This setup allows for a more controlled environment when it comes to testing ad messaging out and also allows me to keep on changing and testing ad messaging after a certain period of time.

Hope this Helps!

Cheers!

Shashank

Cheers,
Shashank Singh, AdWords Rising Star |
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please hit "Like" or "Accept as Solution"

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
These are great answers... but I'd still like to add, if I may....

Whenever we are testing anything we need to be sure of the varialbes.

Without going back to basic scientific method seminars from college days.... the point of testing anythnig is to be able to determine what is working and what is not.

If you have two ads that are completely different and one out performs the other, how do you know what it is that is causing the difference?

On the other hand if you have two ads that are identical except for the headline and one out performs the other, you have an insight.

With 50 ads, you have no way of really making any progress - so my advise would be to determine which few ads have performed best and start by pitching these against one another.

Once you've got some baseline data you can start refining and following Eric's advice about having two or three ads at a time.

I do much the same as he... but every now and then I throw in ad from left field. Why? - well because I can refine and refine one ad and get the BEST VERSION OF THAT AD that I can, but it may not be my BEST AD if that makes sense.

Look at your search query reports. This is where I often get inspiration for ads, look at what people are actually looking for - not just for new keyword ideas, but also for ad copy ideas.....

These SQR can often help you get into your persona's head. If they were searching for "x", what would be the one thing you could say to them that would make them look up and pay attention... there's your headline for your next test ad.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner
eMap,

The objective of your ads is to induce the click through and be the 2nd step in your adwords funnel towards a conversion, ( keywords would be step 1).

Is there a proper amount of Ads? There is not correct answer here, but the process does start with your ad rotation schedule, Are you optimizing for clicks, rotating evenly or rotating for 90 days and then optimize.

Are you also using Mobile versions of ads?

With adwords being a continual process of analyzing your data, TESTING, and making optimization tweaks to ensure a positive ROI and ROAS, then working a split test of your ads is a favorable situation.

I usually start out with about 3 ads per ad group with an additional 2 ads marked as Mobile versions, Then the testing begins, After a certain period of time, or number of impressions, I will determine the winners and the losers based both on CTR and Conversions. The losers are paused, and a new ad(s) are created to replace the losers ( in the ongoing testing model).

Over a longer period of time with enough accumulated data you may find that there is a Golden Ad that always works and lead to your best performance, CTR, Conversions and ROI. When you find that you can stick to it, or you can continue to test variations.

The objective is to define and determine your TESTING criteria in which you can objectively analyze the data and let the data determine what is working and what is not.

So in a statistical testing or measuring environment, if you had 20 ad in one adgroup, would that make for a good testing environment? If you have 3-5 would that make for a good testing environment? It all comes down to your methods, your account setup, your testing parameters.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star

Hi eMap,

Eric has given you some great advice here, do take it under consideration when making your choice on the number of ads and the strategy you adopt. I would just like to add something here.

In my experience, it is always a good idea and something that I follow as a best practice to keep a maximum of 2 - 3 ad copies in an adgroup. What this allows me to do is a A/B test sorts between a couple or more ad messaging. I can keep the ad rotation settings to Rotate Evenly or even Rotate Indefinitely so that I can manually check the performance of each ad messaging and then optimize the same.

This setup allows for a more controlled environment when it comes to testing ad messaging out and also allows me to keep on changing and testing ad messaging after a certain period of time.

Hope this Helps!

Cheers!

Shashank

Cheers,
Shashank Singh, AdWords Rising Star |
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please hit "Like" or "Accept as Solution"

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you very much. I am newer to Google AdWords and have just taken over my company's account, so don't know exactly what I am doing - learning as I go. Your in depth answer has helped.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
These are great answers... but I'd still like to add, if I may....

Whenever we are testing anything we need to be sure of the varialbes.

Without going back to basic scientific method seminars from college days.... the point of testing anythnig is to be able to determine what is working and what is not.

If you have two ads that are completely different and one out performs the other, how do you know what it is that is causing the difference?

On the other hand if you have two ads that are identical except for the headline and one out performs the other, you have an insight.

With 50 ads, you have no way of really making any progress - so my advise would be to determine which few ads have performed best and start by pitching these against one another.

Once you've got some baseline data you can start refining and following Eric's advice about having two or three ads at a time.

I do much the same as he... but every now and then I throw in ad from left field. Why? - well because I can refine and refine one ad and get the BEST VERSION OF THAT AD that I can, but it may not be my BEST AD if that makes sense.

Look at your search query reports. This is where I often get inspiration for ads, look at what people are actually looking for - not just for new keyword ideas, but also for ad copy ideas.....

These SQR can often help you get into your persona's head. If they were searching for "x", what would be the one thing you could say to them that would make them look up and pay attention... there's your headline for your next test ad.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for all of the advice! This is another great idea!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you for this advice, I created four ads for each program but realized the bid 2.00 would be significantly reduced and hence would be seen even less so now I've changed my strategy and see results.