AdWords
5.3K members online now
5.3K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Is there a method to tell whether a specific enquiry is from adwords or organic search.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi All

I have been using a contact form on my website for many years.  there has always been  multiple options  on our contact page for a lead to select how they found out about us.  ie Google, magazines, newspaper, friend etc. Most of our enquiries are from online sources or referrals nowdays, And we have been using Adwords for some time now.

However if given the option on the enquiry form of “Google search”  for a website visitor, there is no way to differentiate whether it was paid or organic. I imagine people are pretty unaware of whether they're clicking sponsored results or organic results,  so there would be no point in having two check boxes.

Now I do understand that there is conversion tracking offered in Google Analytics and we do already use this. However this only tells you if a lead “converted” to an enquiry.

What we really want to know is specifically how an individual found us whether it was Google adwords or organic,  So we can work out  if the individual converted to an actual sale.

1. John found us though adwords

Jane found us through google seo

We are a low volume / high value business so this information would be very helpful in understanding our market better and how they shop for our service and get an idea of the quality of the leads generated by each.

Is there any method anyone is aware of to measure this or track this?

Thanks for your help.

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Craig T
March 2016

Re: Is there a method to tell whether a specific enquiry is from adwords or organic search.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Craig T,

The way to identify AdWords traffic is to look for the presence of the gclid name/value pair in the query string. This is only available on the landing page after the AdWords click. If the inquiry form is on the landing page, this may be sufficient. But it's usually possible for the visitor to poke around on the site before deciding to sign up. In this case, you would need to identify AW traffic when it first hits the site. I set a domain cookie that stores the data I want to capture on conversion.

When the user fills out your form and the AW cookie exists, I'd be tempted to store the data in a hidden field rather than allow the user to select a source. This could be confusing if the user leaves your site then returns through a different source. If you still want to track that as AW source, set the cookie expire to the number of days after which you no longer wish to count as an AW conversion.

For multi-channel sales date, I'd recommend Google Analytics. There's a lot that goes into it.

One other thing to consider, you may want more granular data than "John found us though adwords". You may want campaign, ad group, ad copy, and/or keyword data as well. You can't get that from the gclid value itself, but you can use value track to provide that data.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

View solution in original post

Re: Is there a method to tell whether a specific enquiry is from adwords or organic search.

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Craig T,

I believe what you are looking for is attribution models that look at first touch, simple conversion tracking in this case will not be enough. You can see this in GA by going to:
Conversions > Attribution > Model Comparison.

Here you can change the attribution model to a first interaction model. This will attribute all conversions to the channel that obtained the first touch with the user.

Remember to also edit the look back window at the top to decide how far back you want to look at a first touch.

I would also highly recommend ensuring that you have a business specific custom channel grouping built so that you can be confident of the various channels, and not ride of the default channel grouping (remember that when building this, custom is retroactive but editing the default does not make it retroactive).

Good Luck

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hello;
In addition to Clynton's reply:
It is not clear whether you have linked your GA and AW accounts? This should resolve the issue.
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Craig T
March 2016

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Craig T,

The way to identify AdWords traffic is to look for the presence of the gclid name/value pair in the query string. This is only available on the landing page after the AdWords click. If the inquiry form is on the landing page, this may be sufficient. But it's usually possible for the visitor to poke around on the site before deciding to sign up. In this case, you would need to identify AW traffic when it first hits the site. I set a domain cookie that stores the data I want to capture on conversion.

When the user fills out your form and the AW cookie exists, I'd be tempted to store the data in a hidden field rather than allow the user to select a source. This could be confusing if the user leaves your site then returns through a different source. If you still want to track that as AW source, set the cookie expire to the number of days after which you no longer wish to count as an AW conversion.

For multi-channel sales date, I'd recommend Google Analytics. There's a lot that goes into it.

One other thing to consider, you may want more granular data than "John found us though adwords". You may want campaign, ad group, ad copy, and/or keyword data as well. You can't get that from the gclid value itself, but you can use value track to provide that data.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Awesome thanks everyone for taking the time to reply.
this is great this is pretty much what I'm after. as far as campaigns etc go it's just the one so we don't need to break it down any further which should make it easier. yeah I reckon we would hide the data as the option is pretty much giving us know usable data anyway.

thanks all I will try this out !