AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.8K members online now
3.8K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Is paused as good as a negative in these scenarios?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

If "keyword" is active but the narrower "keyword plus" is paused, will the query keyword plus be eligible because of the shorter term?

And what about a third term, narrower than both, say keyword plus this, will this be eligible because of the active "keyword" or ineligible because of  the paused "keyword plus"?

This is important to know in its own right but with Adwords doing everything it can to obstruct the managing of negatives, paused keywords may be a better alterative. 

Thanks

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Is paused as good as a negative in these scenarios?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Philip, I have to say I don't actually understand your question.  Typically we would refer to Keywords with more words as narrower than ones with fewer words.  I'm also unsure whether you're referring to AdWords Keywords or search terms matching those Keywords.

In any event, paused Keywords are effectively inactive for all purposes.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Philip,

The question "What keyword triggers a search term" is an open topic of discussion with many IF conditions. Some of the conditions are described here : 

How similar keywords match to search terms

1) Let's say that In your first scenario your Ad Group has just 2 keywords one is active and one is paused.

The phrase match "keyword" can trigger the search term keyword plus , if for example there is no negative keyword for the word "plus".

2) It is important to understand that Paused keywords do not influence active keywords.

The only remaining enabled keywords can match search terms or not. A search term cannot be "ineligible" because a keyword better matching it is paused.

So yes, the search term  keyword plus this can be triggered by the phrase match  "keyword" because the phrase match allows for words before or after the designated keyword.

3) I do not understand why you are saying that "Adwords doing everything it can to obstruct the managing of negatives"

I'll be happy to continue discussing other scenarios about search terms and keywords if you want more clarification.

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Philip,
All depends on your Match Type. In the first scenario - if "keyword" is Broad or Phrase, then yes, "keyword plus" will serve an Impression. If "keyword" was set to Exact Match then it would not.

In the second scenario, "keyword plus this" could serve and Impression if you're bidding on "keyword" as Broad and/or Phrase Match. Again, if you're only bidding on "keyword" as Exact, then "keyword plus this" would not serve an Impression. Does that help?
It's important to remember, that Paused Keywords work very different than Negative Keywords. Negative Keywords restrict your Ads from showing any time that word is located in users' search queries. Paused Keywords just mean that that particular Keyword will not serve Impressions, but if you're using Broad and/or Phrase on other active Keywords, then Impressions could still serve when users query that string (although attributed to an active Phrase or Broad Match Keyword).
Finally, it's important to understand how the different Match Types work. I've included some links below, but basically if you're using Broad Match, your Ads could show when users type in modifiers and close variations of the Keywords you're bidding on.
Keyword Matching Options - https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6324?hl=en
Negative Keywords - https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/105671?hl=en

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I have gone back and edited narrow/broad to reflect your correction.

Those in black and bold are keywords and those in red are search queries.

Thanks

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Adrian

A somewhat related question if I may... If "keyword plus" were active but "plus" was a negative, which one wins Google's game of paper/scissors/stone for the term keyword plus ?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Regarding the negatives, I would like to make all the keywords in an adgroup negatives in all the other adgroups in the same campaign, rather than copy and paste them into all the other groups. Even the copying is hard!

Similar cross-adgroup processes are not provided for. Such as looking at a keyword details report, very often I would like to be able to put keywords I find there into different add groups, but the only option is to add them to the current group.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Philip,

I have tested this in a new Ad Group just to make sure, and have used the Ad Preview tool to see what effect the search term keyword plus has. So in my new ad group I have a single Ad, a single keyword phrase match "keyword plus" and a single negative keyword "plus" also in phrase match at the ad group level.

The Ad Preview says the following : A negative keyword ("plus") is preventing your Ad from showing

negative-keyword-effect-diagnosis.png

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

For this request "I would like to make all the keywords in an adgroup negatives in all the other adgroups in the same campaign, rather than copy and paste them into all the other groups."

I would suggest the AdWords editor to manipulate large amounts of keywords faster.

The fact that you can add a search term as a keyword only to the Ad Group which triggered it is an interesting observation. It would be an interesting feature to be able to select what ad group to insert the new keyword.

What I do with search terms : I download all the recent search terms in the Excel format and do the selections of Search Terms from there, then copy paste for example 10-20 selected search terms in the desired Ad Group.

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

HI Simon, further to the replies you've received I can confirm that if you have "plus" as a broad match negative then it will block "keyword plus" as a search term, since "plus" appears in that term.

As to adding negatives to Ad Groups, Adrian is correct to recommend the AdWords Editor.  However, I would ask why you would want to do this.  Ideally,  a search term should match one or more Keywords only within the same Group.  If it matched Keywords in more than one Group it would suggest a poor structure.  The only exception to this is where match types are split into their own Groups, e.g. a Group for Phrase and a Group for Exact.  However, in this case, Google has efficient algorythms to automatically choose the best matching Keyword and "forcing" the match could result in paying more than necessary.

For example, if you had a Phrase Group for "red shoes" and an Exact Group for [red shoes].  When a Search user enters red shoes as a search term both Keywords are eligible to match.  However, if both have the same Max. CPC but [red shoes] has a QS of 8 and "red shoes" has a QS of 6, it's quite likely Google will decide to match the search term against the Exact match.  If you force a match against the Phrase (by adding -[red shoes] as a negative) then you'll be paying more than you needed to for the same position.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits