AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Is my account even set up properly??

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Ok, I'm sure somewhere along the line this has cropped up, but I can't seem to find a relevant answer, because there have been so many contradictions.

So I set up AdWords under the company gmail account, and it kept bringing me to Adwords Express with no real explanation of how to choose keywords or anything. So then I decided to set up the account with an email address that wasn't a Google one. So now it's just Adwords and not Adwords Express. But I can't get access to the keyword planner, just a 4 step process to create my first ad campaign.

I troubleshoot this and discover that you need to enter your billing details first before you can get access to keyword planner (from what I gather on this forum anyway). So I enter the billing details but I'm still stuck in this 4 step process. The next action is literally clicking the 'Finish and Create Campaign' button - but now I don't know whether the campaign is going to start running if I click this button. I just want to test out some of the keywords first before I activate it. Is this not possible? Some respondents on this forum are saying that you don't need to have an active campaign to access the keyword planner, yet others are saying that you do. Needless to say, I'm a tad confused.

And in the middle of all of that, I tried to integrate Adwords into Hubspot...and I get this message: "Sorry, we couldn't connect your AdWords account because it's not fully set up. Please finish setting your AdWords account up on Google then come back to Ads to connect it to HubSpot."

Soooooo, my account isn't even set up?! Is this because I haven't clicked "Finish and create campaign" on Adwords? This is so confusing. Google really isn't making it easy! It just doesn't make sense that the campaign would need to be live in order for me to select keywords and use some of the other tools. I know you can pause campaigns, but I just feel like I'm going backwards.

Can anyone help??

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
July 2016

Re: Is my account even set up properly??

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Good morning.

My suggestion would be to go ahead and click the "finish" button and then pause the created campaign.

Most of the tools in the system do need the information in a campaign (geotargeting, landing page URLs, ad text, keywords) in order to function, yes. The campaign doesn't need to be live, but it does need to exist. In the case of a new account, the campaign doesn't actually "exist" until you've clicked the "finish" button. 

While the keyword planner doesn't necessarily require this information, activating the campaign is the only way to access it and the other tools. As long as you remember to pause the campaign immediately, it will not serve ads or spend any money.

(It's true that the AdWords program is complex. It needs to serve the needs of millions of advertisers around the world, advertisers who all have very different requirements and goals.)

Please don't hesitate to post again if you have more questions!

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
July 2016

Re: Is my account even set up properly??

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Good morning.

My suggestion would be to go ahead and click the "finish" button and then pause the created campaign.

Most of the tools in the system do need the information in a campaign (geotargeting, landing page URLs, ad text, keywords) in order to function, yes. The campaign doesn't need to be live, but it does need to exist. In the case of a new account, the campaign doesn't actually "exist" until you've clicked the "finish" button. 

While the keyword planner doesn't necessarily require this information, activating the campaign is the only way to access it and the other tools. As long as you remember to pause the campaign immediately, it will not serve ads or spend any money.

(It's true that the AdWords program is complex. It needs to serve the needs of millions of advertisers around the world, advertisers who all have very different requirements and goals.)

Please don't hesitate to post again if you have more questions!

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*