Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Is keyword in ad part of QS?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

Is having the keyword in the ad directly part of the QS algorithm? For example with keyword "apple", if I'm putting "fruit" instead in my ad, will it directly lower my QS?

The key here is directly. I know that if people don't see "apple", they're less likely to click, hence my CTR will lower, hence my QS will lower but that is indirect. 

So the question is will the presence of the keyword influence directly the QS?

Thanks!

4 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Matthieu C
September 2015

Re: Is keyword in ad part of QS?

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

@Matthieu C

It's hard to answer this question, since what matters is the overall ad-copy relevance,  not necessarily the individual words within the ad-text. 

In Google's words: ".. make sure your ads and landing pages match what the user wants

So, I would say that "directly" the answer is NO, But Indirectly - certainly,  Since it improves the overall ad relevance and, hence  could improve the CTR, which is the predominant component of QS.

Work on your CTR - that's my advice.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

maybe try an analogy --

car = wheels + engine + body + stuff;
creating a car doesn't include petrol in the equation --
but a car cannot practically function without petrol.

qs = expected clickthrough rate + ad relevance + landing page experience + stuff;
creating a quality-score doesn't include a keyword in the equation --
but a quality-score cannot practically function without a keyword.

see also

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2454010

View solution in original post

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Matthieu C,

Welcome !

As per my knowledge the answer is "Yes". Because "Ad Relevancy" is a part of QS.To increase the ad relevancy we always try to group togather the similar keywords and add the keywords in the ad copies. As per your example i would like to create two seperate adgroups for Apple & Fruit.

Hope it helps..

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

QS of the newly created ad has according to account performance. you have defined as more general keyword

which is much impact your quality score as well as ad performance. Try to create ad with specific keywords and group into the different ad group if there is requirement.  more, relevant ads tend to earn more clicks, appear in a higher position, and bring you the most success.

Most important think that ad relevance is algorithmic calculation and Adword system looks user experience between Ad and landing page which is define Ad Quality. For more information visit https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2454010?hl=en

Hope this will Help

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Yes, Keyword in Ad copy directly impact your quality score. You can not use synonyms or indirectly related words in your Ad Copy and expect high QS.

If you want to use synonyms or related words create a new ad group for those keywords and create ad copy accordingly this will not impact your good performing keywords & ad groups.

Here is complete details of how QS works: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2454010?hl=en
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Matthieu C
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

@Matthieu C

It's hard to answer this question, since what matters is the overall ad-copy relevance,  not necessarily the individual words within the ad-text. 

In Google's words: ".. make sure your ads and landing pages match what the user wants

So, I would say that "directly" the answer is NO, But Indirectly - certainly,  Since it improves the overall ad relevance and, hence  could improve the CTR, which is the predominant component of QS.

Work on your CTR - that's my advice.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks. I went a little extreme with the apple / fruit example but the real story is that my associate want to make different ads, one for the singular (apple), one for the plural (apples). So that [apple] matches the ad heading "apple" and [apples] matches the ad heading "apples". I think this is nonsense and see no real argument in favor of doing that.

Problem is I can't find arguments in NOT doing that. If you can help I'll be more than happy. BTW it's not about how a plural can be understood and trigger the ad even if only the singular keyword has been entered, the concern is really keyword / ad relationship and having a better QS with 100% match.

By the way thanks to @Shuva Nandy, @Clal Lodh and Alok S too !

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi @Matthieu C,

I don't see any point in using [apple] and [apples] as different keywords for the sole purpose of having exactly matched ad texts. Bear in mind that using the exact match keywords in the ad text does not guarantee a better QS.

There are several other important aspects that decide the QS. The most prominent of all is Expected CTR. Even when the ad relevance is above average, a low Expect CTR will change the game badly. Hence, you should better focus on CTR, the QS will follow along. 

My two cents.

Thanks
Ratan Jha

About Me: Community Profile | Ratan Jha INC. | Splashsys Webtech
If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
Hi Matthiew C,

Singular vs plural often implies intent. The apple/fruit example is not really the same as the apple/apples example.

In many industries, the singular implies research while the plural implies intent. If you haven't already tested, I'd suggest using both the singular and plural at the same time, then measure and compare the performance of the two. After that, make your decisions accordingly.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks again all. I appreciate the efforts for guiding me on my choice of keyword, singular, plural, intent, CTR stuff and everything but the question was really (if I had to put it in an equation) :

is : QS = different stuff + presence of the exact keyword in the ad ?

Some people say yes, other say no. I tend to say no and wanted to find like proofs or solid arguments. After reading you I'm still believing it's no, so at least it's cool to get that feeling kinda confirmed.

Anyway, thanks again!

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

maybe try an analogy --

car = wheels + engine + body + stuff;
creating a car doesn't include petrol in the equation --
but a car cannot practically function without petrol.

qs = expected clickthrough rate + ad relevance + landing page experience + stuff;
creating a quality-score doesn't include a keyword in the equation --
but a quality-score cannot practically function without a keyword.

see also

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2454010