AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.6K members online now
2.6K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Is it wise to bid on every city as keyword?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi everyone.

Im working on a campaign that's targeted for a local solar provider.

I have a campaign that I have geo-targeting enabled..

but to be more granular, i was thinking of doing modified broad match on every city that's covered by this service provider.

Unfortunately, there are over 270 keywords relating to cities and counties in northern california.. (well, at least that's the areas with over 10,000 inhabitants). Of course, to make the adgroup "tight-knit", i was thinking of placing one keyword for ad group...

ex.

1. Adgroup 1 - "+san +francisco solar"
  2. Adgroup 2 - "+san +francisco solar company"
  3. Adgroup3 -  "+san +francisco solar power"

And so on..

Problem with this approach is that i have 270 cities... with 5-7 combinations of ways to explain what they do.. so that's well over 1000+ keywords... and if I do 1 kw/adgroupp, that's over 1000+ ad groups.

Question

1) Should i even bother?

2) If I do, what's the more effective way of grouping these together?

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by LynnyRose (Follower ✭ ✭ ☆)
September 2015

Re: Is it wise to bid on every city as keyword?

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

Here is what I would do in this scenario.

Using adwords editor:

1 - create a new geo campaigns and add the city names as adgroups using the correct capitalisation.

2 - Use a base set of keywords in each adgroup but use agname instead of the city name. eg. agname solar power, agname solar company, agname solar power

3 - add this base set of keywords into ALL new city adgroups. Use add multiple keywords and select the adgroups to drop all your base terms into

4 - highlight all keywords in these new adgroups

5 - use find and replace to use editor formulas to change the "agname" keywords to the adgroup name. eg. find agname replace with [adgroup]

This tells editor to replace the agname keyword with the name of the actual adgroup.

So, the above lets you change all your keywords but you can use this with the ads as well.

Go to your ads tab, add multiple ads and select the adgroups you want to add to

click the + to get your headers

<tab> means hit the tab key

agname solar <tab>description 1<tab>description 2<tab>www.example.com<tab>http://www.example.com

once all ads are in, highlight them and use find and replace like described above and you should get san fransisco solar in your headline. If it doesn't make sense as we're limited to 25 in the headline, do it in description line 1 or 2.

I hope this helps.

This link helps explain how you can use editor formulas to make mass changes easily.

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Taewoo,

Hope all is well friend.

Personally, I would wait and see if you really need them before adding 270 keywords.  You may not need to add the city names just yet  You could try to use handfuls of modified broad/phrase/exact keywords without the city names first and see how the overall results & search terms/geographic reports look for you...react to the demand.  I also think that you really shouldn't need to get so granular that you are using 1 keyword per ad group; 4-5 is reasonable for almost any campaign. I try to think in terms of ads, can I write an ad that will continue to be relevant for someone using slight variations in search terms? Most often I can, and by adding some variations in the keywords, I can create some variations in the ads as well. 

Ask yourself: Can you make that much of a distinction between "San Francisco Solar"  and "San Francisco Solar Power"?  I don't know, maybe you can.  Maybe you can also take these terms and through exploration and variations, create ad groups from them. I just think it's worth exploring using multiple keywords in an ad group. 

If you want to, you could also try some of the big city names, (you may want to use tighter match types) if you'd like to see how they perform.  Search intent is getting much better these days you might be able to save yourself that work with the proper settings.  If this company does not service outside of a certain geographic area, make sure to set your advanced location options correctly too.

This brings up a point for me.  Do some good research on negative terms.  Here are a few that pop into my mind:  flare(s), system, eclipse, storm.  I would try to get a that list going before launch.  These are some heavily searched not so relevant terms to residential or commercial solar power systems/kits.     

Also, in Modified broad match, the + sign is the requirement...don't forget to use it on all required words +solar and +solar +company too.

(Now that I'm done writing this reply, I'm really hoping you're working with a solar company and that wasn't just some random example)  haha

Hope this helps!

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by LynnyRose (Follower ✭ ✭ ☆)
September 2015

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

Here is what I would do in this scenario.

Using adwords editor:

1 - create a new geo campaigns and add the city names as adgroups using the correct capitalisation.

2 - Use a base set of keywords in each adgroup but use agname instead of the city name. eg. agname solar power, agname solar company, agname solar power

3 - add this base set of keywords into ALL new city adgroups. Use add multiple keywords and select the adgroups to drop all your base terms into

4 - highlight all keywords in these new adgroups

5 - use find and replace to use editor formulas to change the "agname" keywords to the adgroup name. eg. find agname replace with [adgroup]

This tells editor to replace the agname keyword with the name of the actual adgroup.

So, the above lets you change all your keywords but you can use this with the ads as well.

Go to your ads tab, add multiple ads and select the adgroups you want to add to

click the + to get your headers

<tab> means hit the tab key

agname solar <tab>description 1<tab>description 2<tab>www.example.com<tab>http://www.example.com

once all ads are in, highlight them and use find and replace like described above and you should get san fransisco solar in your headline. If it doesn't make sense as we're limited to 25 in the headline, do it in description line 1 or 2.

I hope this helps.

This link helps explain how you can use editor formulas to make mass changes easily.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

taewoo;

Quote: there are over 270 keywords relating to cities and counties in northern California.

My experience, coming from the field of engineering project management: when you search for contractors for solar panels you search a wide geographic region.

My guess would be thatת those looking for solar panels installation in northern California, will run a search for search term like: "solar panels California", "Solar panels north CA", "solar panel San Francisco"...etc...

So, targeting your campaign by location and by intent ("People in, searching for, or viewing pages about your targeted location") should do the job.

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
hey Tom. Yea, i do lead generation for solar companies. Not some random example. ;P

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey Moshe. Yeah.. i already have that setting on but i figured maybe i can get better CTR and lower CPA doing this...