AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.5K members online now
1.5K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Is it possible to mix match types within the SAME keyword?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Is it possible to use broad match and phrase match within the SAME keyword? As in

+buy "port wine" online

?

PS: AFAIK, exact match is exclusive and and can't be mixed with other match types.

Thanks

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author EddieB
September 2015

Re: Is it possible to mix match types within the SAME keyword?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello Eddie B;

Simple answer : No ;

Each match type stand by its own

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author EddieB
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello Eddie B;

Simple answer : No ;

Each match type stand by its own

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi EddieB and welcome to the forum.  Mosche is of course right, the answer is no, but it's an interesting idea.  I do think it might become very complex to administer though and unless you've got a lot of variations "outside" the phrase (or exact, etc.) it would probably be easier just to use multiple versions to achieve the same goal.

Maybe worth a suggestion to team though, to see what they say...

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
How would Google treat a search term like that?

e.g.

+word1 "phrase term"

I have been able to successfully create keywords like this, but don't have any active right now.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Well, my guess at how it would work would be to give you the ability to have "one" keyword do the work of what currently requires two or more.  For example:

+word1 "phrase term"

could on its own trigger both "word1 phrase term" and "phrase term word1", effectively as though both those phrase keywords existed.  May not seem like a big deal but if you had a lot of keywords, being able to halve them would make management a lot easier.

Jon

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes, Cobnut, it would work like that. The idea came because I was seeking to emulate a more evolved form of organizing keyword matching. Something similar to the way one enters keyword in the Radian6 social media monitoring service, which goes like this (sorry it is a little small, I couldnt find a larger image of the panel)

Besides the much enhanced keyword entering options above, proximity (how close one keyword should appear to another) would also be useful. A proximity of one means that there can be only ONE word between keyword A and keyword B. I could use it to indicate to the system that it is ok to have "Widget in Red", but not "Widget that is Red"

Maybe someday, or maybe not. Some of these enhancements could work against Google's bottom line...

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

I think perhaps one of the issues facing such an advanced keyword system is that it may interfere with the idea of using close variants.  As we've been discussing in another thread, Google already has a very complex method of matching triggers to keywords where more than one appears to match and I guess adding layers of complexity to the keywords themselves will considerably increase the load on such analysis.

Jon

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I understand what you are saying, but how much time would be saved if we could have keyword groups like these?

Group #1
"Buy Wine"

Group #2

"Wine Online"

Subgroups that can go with group #1 OR group #2

|--------------- red

|--------------- white

|--------------- green

and so forth... I am obviously not the first person to think of this. I would like to take a look at the thread you mentioned, but my guess is if this hasn't been implemented yet it's probably because it would work against Google's bottom line...

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

I wouldn't be too quick to assume something isn't implemented merely because it might impact profits.  I've worked with these guys a long time and have never seen evidence of such behaviour; in fact, quite the reverse, I've seen a lot of new features that specifically and obviously do decrease the income from Adwords.

It really is much more likely that such improvements are already in the pipeline (there is a very long list of features in that pipeline) or there are technical difficulties in making such changes.  Again, when you consider changes to the Adwords system you've really got to try and grasp just how enormous the system actually is and how much computing goes into running it.  Even a very small change can have a huge effect on the operation.

Jon