AdWords
2K members online now
2K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Is Pausing a Keyword with Low QS Enough?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Is it enough to pause a keyword with 1/10 Quality Score, or should it be removed?

3 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
March 2016

Re: Is Pausing a Keyword with Low QS Enough?

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Chris,

Pausing and removing would almost have the same effect (ads not being served for the keyword) except that you can enable a paused keyword back.

More importantly, I'd suggest looking at why the quality score is low. As you may be aware, there are multiple factors involved in QS calculation. I'd say the starting point is proper account structure and ad group theming. Also, researching on keywords is an essential task before arriving at a list. You can start with Keyword Planner.

Here's an impressive explanation about improving quality scores, worth reading.

Good luck,

Sumanth

Sumanth Sridhar

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
March 2016

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Chris,

Pausing and removing would almost have the same effect (ads not being served for the keyword) except that you can enable a paused keyword back.

More importantly, I'd suggest looking at why the quality score is low. As you may be aware, there are multiple factors involved in QS calculation. I'd say the starting point is proper account structure and ad group theming. Also, researching on keywords is an essential task before arriving at a list. You can start with Keyword Planner.

Here's an impressive explanation about improving quality scores, worth reading.

Good luck,

Sumanth

Sumanth Sridhar

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star
Hey Chris,

If you have already gone through the steps of trying to increase the keywords quality score then I would delete the keyword rather than pause it. Low quality score terms will negatively affect the initial quality score of new keywords related to the poor QS one: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6167132?hl=en
Jim Vaillancourt, AdWords Rising Star, LinkedIn
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Hey Chris, how are things?

Poor quality score will only matter for RELATED keywords, and not the account overall or non-related terms. Keep in mind that there's no QS for Account/Campaign/Group level as a lot of people used to think a few years ago. Google already settled this.

As the guys already mentioned, try and understand why you have low QS and improve. If this isn't enough, delete the keywords.

I have discussed about how to Improve Quality Score on this topic:

https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Performance-Optimization/Improve-Quality-Score/td-p/512354

Hope this helps.

_

Leandro Martinez | Basta1Click